Author Topic: Tom Hearst '79 Camaro: Update Jan 8  (Read 14248 times)

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Re: Tom Hearst '79 Camaro: Update Jan 8
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 06:15:43 AM »
Out if that list, 3 World 100 winners, and 5 National Dirt Hall of Famers! And they all used to compete regularly, together. At Hawkeye Downs. I was lucky to have witnessed such a grand period of dirt racing. Add hall of famers Droste, Dake, Hansen and Verlin Eaker to the mix. How was one area so lucky to produce such talent?

Oh, the Hurst shifter is by Detail Master from Ted's Modeling Marketplace.

Tb

Tb

BobD

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 10:33:48 AM »
I'm amazed at the talent you have for the getting everything straight & precise....and that interior work is awesome!  I  can get some of my "stuff" halfway straight, but only after about a dozen tries!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:29:22 AM by BobD »

Bob P.

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 04:10:01 PM »
This build is looking fantastic Tom. You have a lot of nice detail in this build. Keep us posted.

Bob

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 09:21:27 PM »
Wow! Now there's a list of racing names!! I imagine that would have been something to see!
  Yea, our money...a lot of our money went bye, bye to Iowa back in those days.  That list was just the Iowa bunch, imagine who all showed up from the S.E quarter of Nebraska, Missouri, Eastern half of Oklahoma.  The big Spring/Fall races started around 1977 as I recall....I do remember Billy Moyer winning the Spring race the fallowing year in 1980  The Fall races where run late enough that most if not all of the tracks in the Midwest had closed the book on that season of racing.   
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

David Bogard

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 01:09:54 PM »
That's why our State of Illinois Championship deal was so cool Brian. Almost all of the tracks had closed so when Peoria Speedway had it's weeks of "Open Competition" after it's regular season that led up to the big 100 lap finale, we would get guys from"everywhere" to come for the big money (maybe $1,000 back then, which WAS big money!) and that amazing 6-foot tall trophy! I got to see drivers that I had only previously read about in Hawkeye News or something and it was "the best of times."

Not hijacking your thread Tom but rather complimenting it. When you build certain cars (and build them right!) it brings back a flood of memories and that's what this old Tommy Hearst car does. No higher compliment than that!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

ModelCarMan AKA Ricky

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 08:55:42 AM »
Sweet fab work!