Author Topic: Doc Mayner Chevelle... starting over 4/7/19  (Read 14536 times)

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Doc Mayner Chevelle... starting over 4/7/19
« on: December 02, 2017, 10:06:23 PM »
When I get in a little slump...nothing like starting another project! This will be Doc Mayner's '72 Chevelle. The car was built by Ed Sanger and raced around eastern Iowa. Doc was a character for sure and I've been wanting to do this one for awhile. It will be pretty much a shelf build based on the kit chassis and interior. I'm not sure, but by where the car is sitting and the look on Doc's face..someone may have put him in the rhubarb!
I'm probably going to lower it just a bit yet, but it's getting fairly close to where I want it. Thanks for looking. tb
Doc Mayner color chevelle by Tom Kirby, on Flickr
Doc Mayner trunk lid by Tom Kirby, on Flickr
Doc Mayner Chevelle black and white by Tom Kirby, on Flickr
20171202_215027 by Tom Kirby, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:39:06 PM by Tom Birky »

MarkJ

Re: Doc Mayner Chevelle
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 06:47:10 AM »
Great start. This one is going to be awesome.

pdaly28

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:58:02 AM »
Nice start,Tom.....Nice subject too!

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 03:36:44 PM »
Cool subject and a neat car as well!!!  Nice start!!!😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 05:16:23 PM »
Sanger, Stover, Wasserfort, Mayner, Dralle? And no clue on the Ford. Bob Dixon can probably correct my worksheet!

Tb

Bob P.

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »
Great start Tom,

This is going to be a nice replica build. The ride height looks pretty close to me as you have it now.
I like replica's so I will be watching this one very close. Keep us posted.

Bob

john2

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 03:13:47 AM »
 :)  I guess my weird mind picks up different things in that picture.  One,  our cars never had all those crazy bumpers, and two, I'd  hit that post every time I backed out.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

BobD

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 09:07:54 PM »
Tom - Nice lookin' start on the Mayner Chevelle.  In regards to the photo, it was actually taken in the Spring of 1972.  Not sure if the car on the right was driven by Gary Crawford - but I do know it was not built by Sanger.  He purchased it and sold it to a friend by the name of Ron Smith who went on to race it in Ohio.  Possibly Crawford drove it before it left for Ohio.  It was a 64/65 Chevelle.  The car second from right was built & raced by Tom Bartholomew the prior year, then in '72 Bartholomew went to work for Sanger & Ed became part-owner with Bartholomew still driving.  Attached is a photo from a different angle.  Whew!! Sorry to get so long-winded!                 

Ed Garage 1972b by RD Dix, on Flickr

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 10:04:11 PM »
Wow! Good stuff Bob! I knew you'd know. Ed may not have built that Chevelle, but I bet he put the front bumper on it. Cool pic!!

Tb

BobD

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 10:46:58 PM »
David - I think you're right.....looks like that's the same car with Crawford at the wheel.

john2

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 03:22:58 AM »
 :)  What a great picture of that 10 car and driver.  The days of the T shirt.

john2

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 03:53:57 AM »
 :)  I saved that smaller picture ( above ), and made it my wallpaper.  Got a great enlargement.   

The row of cars, makes me think, as some of the current tv features show ,  "  Where are they now ? "  Are they scattered in fields, or behind garages,  all over Iowa, or the Midwest ?  Engineless, wheeless, some hoodless, muddy, and rusting away in the weeds ?  Some at  odd angles, or even upside down ?  Some now homes to mice, snakes, and no telling what other creatures.   The sounds and smells of their former lives now long gone.  I am about to cry.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:56:52 AM by john2 »

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Update 3/30/19: Doc Mayner Chevelle
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 10:07:52 PM »
I finally have something to show for on the Doc Mayner Chevelle. Roughed in the roll cage, added rub rails and spaced the rear bumper out a bit. I took my moto tool and dinged up the body a little so it will look a little used, like that car that always showed up with new paint on an old body that was pounded out a bit. Well I went a little light on the damage, it's not my strong suit but I'm ok with it. There will be minimal detail as this is supposed to be a fun build. Hope you like it. tb

TarheelRick

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 06:29:19 AM »
Good looking build.  The stance looks right.  I am used to really low-slung asphalt cars since most of my early years were spent at Bowman-Gray Stadium and Hickory Speedway.  Really need to get to rebuilding on my work area and get back on the bench.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

hemiman_2010

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 07:56:11 AM »
Real Nice