Author Topic: Doc Mayner Chevelle... starting over 4/7/19  (Read 14496 times)

Fordguy01

Re: Doc Mayner Chevelle
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 01:59:18 PM »
This will be a super build when you complete it.  I have a question for you Iowa guys,  Did any of you ever hear of an Iowa driver by the name of Dick Nestivee?  He raced at Capital Speedway in Oregon Wisconsin one time that I can remember.  He ran a white with blue number 64/65 Chevelle convertible #64.  Capital speedway was an asphalt track and Dick ran dirt tires and from what I remember from other guys telling me he did not change anything over from dirt to asphalt and he kept pace quite well with the likes of Dick Trickle, Dave Marquis, Joe Jones and some of the other top drivers if memory serves he finished in the top 5  Dick ran a 327 engine while a lot of the other guys ran big blocks.  Looking forward to the completed model.  Have a great day.

Al   

BobD

Re: Doc Mayner Chevelle
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 04:49:40 PM »
Fordguy01 - I think you might be referring to Dick Nesteby of Dubuque, IA (right on the IA-Wisc. border). Here is a pic of his Chevelle convertible from the 1967 season; the car was white with light blue #'s - 74.

Dick Nesteby by RD Dix, on Flickr

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Re: Doc Mayner Chevelle..Starting Over
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 09:38:32 PM »
Well, I knew I did a poor job on the cage on this one. Destroyed the kit interior trying to 'fix' it, then finally ditched it and did what every respectable modeler does, rob a new kit! I cleaned off the chassis and started over with the interior platform out of the nascar 72 Monte Carlo and built a new basic cage and adopted the side bars from an AMT nascar kit. Much better! I think I've righted the ship.

BobD

Re: Doc Mayner Chevelle... starting over 4/7/19
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 11:10:40 PM »
Tom - I've wrecked a few interiors - I just TRY to "cover' em up"  - (the mistakes).  Anyway, nice start on the #71!

And David - I think you named all the Nestebys.  I don't recall a "Don" though.  Dan Nesteby was from Waterloo, but I don't think he is related.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:20:37 PM by BobD »

Bob P.

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 07:37:24 AM »
Looking real good Tom.
We all have those problems and need to start over sometimes.

Bob

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 04:05:03 PM »
This is really looking good Tom. My cousin ran a 72 chevelle that I've started and need to complete. You're inspiring me to do so.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Fordguy01

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 08:25:51 PM »
Tom That is a great looking model it looks fast just sitting there.  Beautiful work!  Bob, that does look like the car I saw that day the car color and number color you described sound familiar.  I could have been wrong about the car number but  please remember guys that I am working with a 70+ year old damaged instrument which I mostly use these days for a hat rack!  I do remember that car ran like a scalded dog!

Al   

junkyardjet57

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »
Nice job.

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »
Finished! Photos in the Showroom.
7/20/19
tb