Author Topic: Any body know what kind of car this was before being turned into a modified  (Read 6984 times)

MarkJ

While looking around on this subject, I ran across a few threads on Lonestarspeedzone.com, JalopyJournal and The H.A.M.B. about Meyer Speedway, the Modifieds and the #7 Blumrick car in question.  Since I never visited that track, what I can gather from the posters information is the cubic inch limit was for the Pony class just under the Modifieds.  As far back as 1963 there was talk of 427's , 406's and 428's being used in the mods.  One poster mentioned a couple of times about the #7 car using a pontiac engine.  In the video MarkJ posted the announcers tell you the car chasing Blumrick is running a big 427 and the 7 car has a 327 with 3 2bbl carbs.  I have no idea what types of engines the #7 car may have used during its life but in the 1963 press photo I am convinced what I see is a poncho head.  In the second photo the valve cover above the second man from the lefts head is too long to be a SBC to my eye but photos can fool you.   So, what you have started MarkJ is a history mystery.  You are in Texas old son so do some detective work and find some answers for us.  If I found this much, you should be able to find more.

George, I already tried to find stuff, but failed miserably, so that's why I got you guys involved in this adventure. Reading the posts so far, has been very interesting, and entertaining as well.   If I do build this thing, its just going to be a rough try at making something look ballpark, to the real thing. Does Revell or AMT make a 38 Chevy coupe?  One thing is for sure, these things look very dangerous to get inside, and race. These guys were either very brave or something else.

Lefturns75

I agree with you mark, those guys back in the day were iron men.  I think they all had super size stones---then there were some I think may have had a combination of large ones and no brains.   The vid shows just what kind of guys they were---dirt trackin' on asphalt for 100 laps in some of the most un-safe looking contraptions I have seen. 

I dont know of anyone that does a 38 chevy, kit or resin.  The old AMT 37 is about your only choice other than a resin 36 3 window by Big Donkey resin that you might hack up to look like the #7 38 coupe.  Problem there is if it don't work or you screw the pooch you are out $18.   You picked a tough one this time but I don't think it is impossible.   

MarkJ

I agree with you mark, those guys back in the day were iron men.  I think they all had super size stones---then there were some I think may have had a combination of large ones and no brains.   The vid shows just what kind of guys they were---dirt trackin' on asphalt for 100 laps in some of the most un-safe looking contraptions I have seen. 

I dont know of anyone that does a 38 chevy, kit or resin.  The old AMT 37 is about your only choice other than a resin 36 3 window by Big Donkey resin that you might hack up to look like the #7 38 coupe.  Problem there is if it don't work or you screw the pooch you are out $18.   You picked a tough one this time but I don't think it is impossible.

I'll probably wait to get an AMT 37 Chevy kit and scratch a grille for it and try to figure out how much the body was narrowed and maybe shortened. I'll just wait for the IMPS Houston show in Stafford Texas next April, and see if any of the vendors have that 37 Chevy kit, and not want an arm and a leg for it.  Till then, I have a lot more builds in mind, to work on.  Thanks, George, David and everybody else who threw in their 2 cents, to help me figure out this deal.

john2

:)  The 55 looks like the first attempt at a Ledgens car. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Olderndirt

I think the most interesting thing about this red ‘38 Chevy is it says it’s powered by a 427 Ford on the hood.

Olderndirt