Author Topic: 1940 ford  (Read 1854 times)

steven

1940 ford
« on: June 24, 2022, 10:28:03 PM »
First build in a few years. Far from perfect but hard to build now. To me its perfect and that's all that matters. Be brutally honest with replies please. Thank you Steven.
PS....Cannot remember how to post pics hope this works.

https://flic.kr/p/2nu5vwj
https://flic.kr/p/2nu5vvC
https://flic.kr/p/2nuaKJ3
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 10:30:36 PM by steven »
If you bought it a trucker hauled it.

I mind is a terrible thing to waste....has anybody seen mine??????

Maineboy

Re: 1940 ford
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 07:19:15 AM »
Steven,

That is real nice. It reminds me of a lot of cars I saw in the mid 1960's. Did not have all kinds of sponsor decals, just a plain ol number and some really nice looks. What does it have for a motor, the flathead?

Reminds me that I have a couple of 40 Fords to do something with someday, got too many other projects right now.

MB

"Rodder, racer,  builder, farmer, backyard engineer"

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 07:33:12 AM »
Looks pretty good to  me!!!

Rett

Volzfan59

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 09:27:41 AM »
Steve, It looks great to me, I like your race car hauler too. Like you, I build for my self.

Steve
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 03:10:21 PM »
  To be brutally honest......
  The '40 Ford is bit before my time.....
   Your build looks great...I did judge it with the pictures provided utilizing an A.M.P.S judging tally sheet from our clubs show last fall...for whats its worth....as you requested it. :)

CONSTRUCTION
Body work:  No obvious flaws....looks exactly like it should for that era of stock car.

Basic running gear & drive train:  All four tires are in contact with the ground, front tires posed facing the same
                                                 direction.  Correct tires,wheels and rear axle for this type of build.

Chassis detailing:  Since I can't get up close to the build, I judged what I can see.  Correct style of roll cage for this
                           era of build.

Scratch-built detailing:  Correct style of mud screens and grill screen frame.  Correct style of front and rear
                                   bumpers.

FINISH/WEATHERING 

Finish and markings:  Presuming that this is what you where trying to show as far as the car has not been raced
                                yet....fresh gloss paint and bright numbers.  Drivers side and rear deck lid numbers need a
                                little more decal solvent to get rid of the craze and get it to sit down to the body contour...it
                                can still be applied.

Weathering:  Noticed some areas of a lighter shade of Brown on a couple of the wheels and a fender....Im guessing
                    some very subtle weathering???

Finish continuity:  Looks great....can't see any obvious errors or mistakes.

DIFFICULTY

Degree of difficulty:  Any time you take a kit and build it different than it was kitted, the degree of difficulty goes
                              up.  Since you didn't say which kit this is, I'm guessing that it was not kitted as you built it, I
                              could be wrong.  An example would be originally kitted as a stock or slightly modified hot rod
                              version of a '40 Ford that you have built into a stock car. 

The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 04:01:15 PM »
That Ford looks just fine Steven. Great looking period build. Hope to see more of your work. Thank you for posting it!

Tom

john2

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 05:36:34 PM »
 :)  I agree.  It's great.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Olderndirt

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 01:08:52 PM »
 The only things I would change about this model is the color ( I will admit a lot of race car from this time period were painted with paint that was the results of mixing errors) but I think a little more exciting color would be better. And the hood sides should be cut out so the little flathead can breath.
 The stance, and the tire stagger, is right on, as is the tow lights on the rear. I’d give it shelf space in a heartbeat.

Olderndirt

steven

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 03:34:56 PM »
First and foremost thank you all for the compliments.

Steve thanks probably have parts for 2-3 more parts haulers.

Brian did do underside and motor but glued hood wouldnt stay on. Didnt think about cutting open. Didnt weather it thats the way paint came out of can even though warmed it up and shook it. The difference in paint is probably my picture taking.

Older.  Think next one ill try a more colorful paint scheme. Have a junk and cut up 48 ford think its iic kit. Very old and wife bought at resale shop cheap. Who ever had it hacked the heck out of it.

If you bought it a trucker hauled it.

I mind is a terrible thing to waste....has anybody seen mine??????

john2

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 05:59:12 AM »
 :) I think it's great for a first model in years, and with you not being in the best of health.  Straight forward, simple, period correct.  An excellent way to get going again.  I wouldn't change a thing. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Olderndirt

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 12:32:21 PM »
 I’ve been building car models since the late fifties. One of the most exciting kits I built was the ‘40 coupe. I think I have built twenty of these from new kits, and rebuilt yard sale glue bombs. I love this kit, because its so versatile, and the parts it change with the sedan, and the sedan delivery.
 I’m a hopeless kit basher who started modeling with some old car kits from a fire sale at a variety store. So kit I know well are often the base for a new creation. My latest is a ‘40 sedan delivery converted to a convertible, (top up) with a Marman & Herrington 4WD conversion. Now all I need are some non directional tires to go on it.

Olderndirt