Author Topic: hello folks  (Read 4069 times)

JimW

hello folks
« on: September 30, 2017, 12:07:08 PM »
just wanted to say Hello  and remember me ?   most of the names I remember from FRW and I'm sure most of ya'l know me . sorry I haven't been online much and I haven't built any model's in years but with all these pain meds my pain doctor has me on now I just don't think I can set at my work table long enough to start or finish anything , I'm glad to see everyone found a place to land after you know who closed his door , wish he would have told some one what was up with his life so we don't have to worry about him but I guess some things don't need to be told ! anyway
 I hope to catch up with everyone soon ,
oh by the way a few years ago I started a face book group Called
 " Revell/Monogram Edmunds super modified builders group "
 its nothing like ya'll have going on here , the things we share are open wheel cars like the old NCRA 100" super modifieds , Ncra 6 cyl modifieds , 30" x 90" Cailf super modifieds and cut downs modifieds Skeerter's when I feel good enough to post photo's I try to post all the old pics I can find on the ole interweb , everyone enjoy your weekend or whats left of it  have fun and smile  someone is always watching ya  jim
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:15:24 PM by JimW »
RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

Charlie.D

Re: hello folks
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »
good to have you here JIM W. take care my friend.
Charlie Daniel

pdaly28

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 09:37:35 PM »
good to see you here Jim

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 06:02:35 AM »
Jim, your F/B page was the reason I got hooked up with F/B, though may have done so eventually....
Still, it's good to see you here now, too......

When you feel up to it, and can find the pics of a couple of those cool GK based sprints, sure the folks here would love to see them.
I know I'd love to see them again....
Ed K.

JimW

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 07:41:28 AM »
will do ED  guess we can't use photobucket so I'll have to find another photo hosting site !  don't know what to say about my Edmunds super mods builders group that got you "hooked" on facebook  that might be a bad thing ....lol    god bless and have a great day !!

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »
Glad to see you here Jim!!!!!!! Hope ya can get back to building soon!!!!
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

Olderndirt

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 11:04:27 AM »
JimW;

NCRA is playin' in my back yard. Where are you located? I'm in Lakeport, home of Lakeport Speedway. Short straights, high banks, and in the middle of town, just like taking the way back machine for a test drive back to 1964.

Olderndirt

JimW

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 12:22:40 PM »
I grew up in OKC OK. living in Texas .  but my Dad raced all over Oklahoma , Texas and Kansas. NCRA  is the National Championship Racing Association home based out of Kansas

Olderndirt

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »
Well, phooey, I thought I was finally going to have somebody to talk West Coast short track with. NCRA out here stands for Northern California Racing Association. It got started sometime in the late fifties, or early sixties, when the guys up North got fed up with the way NASCAR was running things. Still running today. There are a lot fewer tracks now. I'm sure the one in Lakeport is on somebodies short list for closure. Being right in the middle of town causes issues with those that don't think of race car engine noise as music.

Olderndirt

JimW

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 04:43:24 PM »
oldndirt  I though in Calif it was the NARC  Northern Auto Racing Club that does all the wing sprint car races  " king of the west"   ?    I may be thinking with the wrong side of my brain  . NCRA started in the mid 60's and was incorporated in the late 60's . back then they would draw 100 super modifieds to just about every race , they raced 2 weekends a month some months 3 weekends

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 07:57:32 PM »
Welcome, Jim W!!!  Settle in make yourself to home!!!  Glad there's somebody here that I can relate to.  I lived in Del City/Midwest City for thirteen years (1982-1995) and followed the NCRA quite a bit as well as got into mini stock racing as well.  I really loved the 100 inch champ cars and hardly ever missed a Friday night at the OKC fairgrounds speedway!!!  It's a shamed that it's closed down...Anyway, I hope I'll get to know you over time and once again, welcome, Jim!!!😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🏁

The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

JimW

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 09:45:55 PM »
Hello Greg  we lived in south OKC tell we moved to Del city (1972)when I was 14 years old , moved to Okamulgee for tech school for 3 years moved back to Del city and opened our shoe business , the store was between Taco Bell and Sonic on sunnylane and se15th street wife and I  moved our business to to INDY in 95 then moved to dallas/Ftworth in 2000.

2 of my brothers started racing at the fairgrounds around 1983/84 , in 1989 all 3 of us raced the whole season on the 1/4 mile track in the 100" non wing modifieds , heck you may remember us Wes White #45 Gil White #53 or #45 and my self Jim White #35,  my 2 brothers raced there until they closed the track , gil is still racing just last night he won the winter national at Lawton speedway driving his non wing 358ci sprint car  we all made every A main that year , if you remember Jack Claxton on the PA always talking that guy who makes fire proof driving shoe's for most of the Outlaw drivers ?  if you do he was talking about our business Fasttrax Safety .

where in the Del city / midwest city did you live ?  my mom lived off sunnylane and 24th street, my inlaws lived off 19th and vickie street
hope to chat about the okc speeday and gettn to know you

sentsat71

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 04:04:33 AM »
Jim, I still check out the Edmunds F/B site, and every now an then, I go through all the pics on the site.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Monogram Edmunds super mod the first TRUE short track open wheel car produced? (1967?) Not counting the LIndberg releases as mot sure when they were first issued.
Ed K.

JimW

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
Ed , I really can't answer that for sure as I have the lindberg kits that are dated 1967 on the box , I know Don Edmunds built his super modified in 1966 and was on the cover of Hot Rod mag one month in 1967 , so I really dont know if Monogram or Lindberg was the first short track dirt racer model to hit the store shelf  .. sorry I know thats not the answer you wanted but its the best I  can do !!  lol

sentsat71

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 04:33:31 AM »
Jim, I still have my original Edmunds kit box & build and it is dated 1967. I was not sure when Lindberg issued theirs. Know that within a year of buying the Edmunds kit, my main source for models at that time had the "White Lightning" kit. but since I had not started painting my builds, that one did not last too long, as the kit did not have "rubber" tires with everything cast in white plastic. However parts of that build ended up as part of other builds. Those builds are running around on this site....2 in the open wheel sections and IIRC the other is in the "Cars with Fenders" section. In short, the engine from the Lindberg kit ended up in '32 Ford coupe "modified" #48, the roll bar ended up in my 1st Kustom Koffin kit, built in 1971, the 2-tone blue #6 in the same section here, while the front/rear axles/tires ended up in a "wild" Hobby Stock early-mid '60's Mercury Comet body on a well cut up '57 Chevy frame (from the original AMT '57 Chevy kit)....

Update:
the modifieds mentioned are on P3 in the Open Wheel section: one titled "Couple of Oldies" and the other "Old Lindberg builds"
the "Hobby Stock"(?) is on P3 of the "Cars with Fenders" section, titled "A True Junk Yard Build?"

They were all posted at FRW waaaayyyyy back when LOL
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:43:18 AM by sentsat71 »
Ed K.