Author Topic: Full Circle?  (Read 4769 times)

David Bogard

Full Circle?
« on: October 11, 2017, 05:39:59 PM »
I remember so fondly those days long ago when the old coupes were starting to phase out the "new" 55 Chevys and Fords were running every weekend night at the local dirt tracks. They had no front fenders and there seemed to always be a ton of cars that came to race. As I look out over today's dirt landscape, sure, I see a handful of the real "pros" running their late models and certainly Bloomquist and Bobby Pierce and Don O'Neal and Tim McCreadie and Josh Richards lead a long list of terrific drivers driving the current state of the art dirt late models. However. . . I almost can't drive 2 miles in any direction without seeing a UMP or IMCA Modified! I-30 Speedway here in Little Rock for instance will ALWAYS have a gigantic full field of Modifieds regardless of what ever else is on the ticket that night. Same thing with most of the old Midwest Tracks I used to haunt. Car counts? Modifieds. Good close racing? Modifieds. What seems to draw the fans night in and night out? Modifieds.

It may be around the corner but it appears to me that no front fenders may just come full circle and save the sport as we know it! Just a thought. . . . ???
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

john2

Re: Full Circle?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »
 :)  I don't know, but I would suspect the current  modifieds you speak of, cost a great deal less to operate.  They are alive and well around here also, but my days of being a spectator seem to be past.   :(

The closest one that I know of is about 7 miles away.  It is a winner, too. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:46:50 PM »
Knaack IMCA Vega by Tom Kirby, on Flickr
10982807_10153675157072995_2591554085853819606_o by Tom Kirby, on Flickr

IMCA Modified "Founder" Keith Knaack in the first IMCA Mod. (Note stock Vega body and door fastened with a chain!) In 1979 the mods made their debut at Benton County Speedway in Vinton, Iowa. 3 cars entered. I went to several of those first races and boy some of those cars were crude! By the end of the first season they had spread to several tracks in eastern Iowa and were starting to draw small fields..almost a 'novelty'. After that, as they say...the rest was history!

tom

TarheelRick

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:33:54 AM »
The last good modified race I saw was at Martinsville the weekend before the NASCAR Grand National race (Mmay have been Winston Cup),  They were running the early Vegas and Pintos.  I have been to a couple of races in the past few years with the IMCA style modifieds and I believe the reason for their popularity as John2 said is  lower cost.  The rules require a corporate front clip and sealed crate motors with 2 barrel or small 4 barrel carb.  Of course the body is simple bent sheetmetal.  Fairly inexpensive compared to a Whelen modified. 
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

sentsat71

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:26:37 AM »
Remember before moving away in early 1972, that if one of the local tracks got 20 modifieds, that was a good count, considering this track was the only one running modifieds in my area, as the other track I frequented in 1969-1971, dropped the modifieds after the 1970 season, never heard why, but car counts could have been the reason, But then I don't remember a huge number of late models that replaced the modifieds. The Hobby Stocks always had larger car counts, less $$ involved.
Even today, the "Hobby Stocks" usually have the larger car counts over the stock cars and modifieds (A & B Mods). At least the 2 tracks I try to attend. 
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 04:40:31 PM »
 :) Devil's advocate,  lol.    They may be fast and fun to watch, but they are as ugly as a mud fence.

About to fall over, and made of cardboard. 

Forgive me David.  Ha.

sentsat71

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 05:10:06 PM »
These are mainstays at the three tracks in my area that I try to make it to. And yes, they can really get into it!
The 4th track I make, maybe once a year, is geared to winged sprint cars, but do have the modifieds as the "fill" cars, not so much the Hobby Stocks or Stock Cars
This year, the draw to the "sprint car track" was Kenny Schrader running is IMCA Modifed there.
Last year it was the USAC National series making an appearance. (NO wings!)
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 06:52:14 PM »
 :)  Whooooooo. What have I done here ?  No, only playing.  David that is just the artist in me coming through.  I like good looking race cars.  And, I like close racing too.

These current late models are the same way.  About to fall over in the turns.  I think they are a foot wider than normal.  And they look like the Jolly Green Giant stepped on all of them.

I was downing Gator ( to myself of course )  when he started showing those bogus street stocks, like his current one.  I said, "  No, he just doesn't have those right.  Too short and stubby, and so tall.  Not the right proportions at all. "

Then, I went to the big winter race car show in Jackson, and low and behold   --   there was one of those things right in front of me.  I was in shock. 

And, you know how much I think of Gator.  He is one of a kind.

When those late models are on tv, I just turn it off, because I am afraid they are all going to fall  over.  I am waiting for that to go   " full circle " and get back to normal.  Then I'll watch them again.

I remember a year or so ago, on Fred's, I asked the question about what is a template  car ?   I thought it meant stock body configuration,  but the answer I got had nothing to do with that at all.  I just prefer a more normal looking car, I guess.

And I can remember way back there, when they would slant the cars to the left, so they would straighten up when in the turns.  Now they want them falling over.  What a world.

sentsat71

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 03:01:51 AM »
David,
Have to agree with you when it comes to the Hornets/Sport Compacts. Only one time, since moving back to Iowa that these Angry Bees put a a good show. That group was the attraction one night, by running for a larger than normal post. More than doubled the amount of these cars to the 1/3 mile track. Surprising, they actually put on a good show, close competition, even for the lead, and even more surprising, very few cautions. But that was the "exception to the rule".
What's really boring is watching them on a big half mile.....

One track runs a class called "Cruisers" which are mainly late 1970's Chevy Impalas, running with one spark plug wire removed from the V-8 engines. But here's the kicker: The driver handles the steering (obviously) and the brake......the passenger in the R/F seat handles the gas pedal. Lucky to get 6 cars for that division, but, what surprised me was how so many fans at the track would be cheering for them. One time a couple teams went at it on the track and a few fans ended up down on the track trying to get at the one of the "drivers".

The Hobby Stocks/Street Stocks at the tracks I go to the most sometimes put on the best show of the night, as they most times have the larger field of cars. They got at it like there is big money involved.

The last year or so, the number of modifieds, both B/Sport Mods and A-Mods have been down on car counts at all tracks I go to. So I try to wait for some special shows,
The Hancock County Speedway, Britt, IA, as a special night of racing on a night when most tracks in the area are not running, (Tues nights) around the July 4th weekend, they have a Salute to Veterans night, featuring Sport Compacts, Hobby Stocks, Stock Cars, Sport Mods and A Mods. Not only do they draw the fans, (Veterans get in free) but over well over 100 cars in the pits,

As to when I first saw the IMCA modifieds, thought they had a "mean" look to them, especially when I saw them head on coming out of turn 4. That's all I needed to see. Was hooked on them from that point on.

This is why I've always liked the old MPC '34 Ford Modified kit. The way that body sits on that chassis as that the "mean look" to it....
Ed K.

vsrn

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 04:37:29 AM »
Not to try to sidetrack this thread, but the 55 Chevies and Fords ran without front fenders to save a bunch of weight up front !
vsrn

Olderndirt

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
I well remember the night old school super modified racing died at our local track. The local bad boy, who was well enough off to race with his wallet instead of his ingenuity, showed up with a modified with a body built in a local sheetmetal shop. It was square, and angular, and ugly as sin, like the dirt cars of today. It sported Hilborn injection, instead of the typical six deuces, and it’s wing had grown from the typical little teardrop to what looked like an aluminum garage door. He ran away and hid from the rest of the pack, and soon was lapping everybody. Sure enough the following week half of the drivers did’nt show. The biggest wallet beat the builders again, and ruined local racing.
 I miss those cars built from old coupes, and sedans, running odd engines, and home built chassis. Those were the races of the common man, and the local hero.

Olderndirt

pdaly28

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »
I can't speak for dirt modifieds,but can for asphalt modifieds(I have owned 3)and with my partner the late james peacock built 5.A good competitive car will start about 15k,if rules allow rollers ad 5k to that,tires are 120 a pop(if they are good years 2every race)gas,travel,pit passes etc,mounts up real fast...........My 1st race car was a 53 chevy with the glass knocked out,swing set roll bar,doors changed shut,all for about $200.I had more fun with that old chevy than anything else

pdaly28

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »
woops...wrong topic >:(

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 07:13:56 PM »
You surely have plans to build that one?!?!!! Neat looking old chevelle...and not bad on the lettering. You're no PIKER!!

tb

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 09:03:49 PM »
Man..I agree with Tom...ya have to build that car. It looks really good. Plus it sure brought back good memories looking at it..
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."