Author Topic: RIP Gator Motorplex  (Read 4558 times)

jlhboys1969

RIP Gator Motorplex
« on: December 11, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »
Well my local dirt track is closing down . Due to the subdivision (which was built after the track was opened) the owners are which are terrific people husband and wife team are just tired of fighting and spending money to fight it has been opened for 17 years. I have taken my 3 sons there and shared my love of the bullring. They even hosted a world of outlaw sprint car event this past season now for me was cool I even got to meet Casey Kane that night. My middle son was there shooting photos this past season.  :'( :'( :'(

pdaly28

Re: RIP Gator Motorplex
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 11:05:33 PM »
Irwindale Speedway also gone at the end of the year for a Asian supermarket

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »
Sucks!!!!!  >:( :o
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 07:13:15 AM »
Took the word right out of my mouth, Doc.....

From  Mar 1972 to May, 2001 when I lived in SoCal, these are the tracks I went to, though some as few as once, that no longer exist:
First and foremost: Ascot
Others:
Speedway 605
Saugus
Corona
Speedway 117, Chula Vista, CA
San Jose Speedway (Tully Road)

then of course Ontario Motor Speedway

meanwhile, back here in Iowa, the local tracks are still going strong, that I go to now and then during the summer season.....and have for years....
Ed K.

pdaly28

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 03:20:23 PM »
Took the word right out of my mouth, Doc.....

From  Mar 1972 to May, 2001 when I lived in SoCal, these are the tracks I went to, though some as few as once, that no longer exist:
First and foremost: Ascot             dirt from ascot is on perris speedway    some of the finist clay around
Others:
Speedway 605                           now miller brewery
Saugus                                      Still there covered in weeds
Corona
Speedway 117, Chula Vista, CA
San Jose Speedway (Tully Road)

then of course Ontario Motor Speedway   only lasted for a couple years
others that were here,the old mesa marin,orange show(still sorta alive)Victorville  both ovals still there and road coarse still there
meanwhile, back here in Iowa, the local tracks are still going strong, that I go to now and then during the summer season.....and have for years....

pdaly28

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »
and there is the new mesa marin in Bakersfield that host 1/2 mile paved,1/4 mile dirt and a mx/super cross track
and the antelope speedway(Lancaster)built much like the bakersfield
and I almost left out Bakersfield(dirt)

sentsat71

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »
Patrick,
I know of other tracks that are gone, but I was trying to keep the ones I went to while I stilled lived in SoCal.
If Mesa Marin had not been closed, when it did, it still would not have lasted, as the last time i drove by that track less than a month before moving to FL, housing developments were closing in, there was nothing around that track when it was built.

Didn't know the Bakersfield(Oildale) track had closed. 

Think Perris Auto Speedway may not last all that much longer either, as housing is encroaching on the fairgrounds.

Heard someone say, one night at Ascot after J.C. Agajanian passed away, he said that Ascot would not last once the lease was up......that his sons did not have the clout their dad did.

Seems like racing and politics do not get along in California......

Track in Victorville at the fairgrounds, IIRC, was upgraded, but couldn't attract fans or cars(?) to make it work.

Too bad a dirt track couldn't have been built near the California Speedway, as housing will not be able to encroach on that area due to the ground contamination from the old steel factory....
Ed K.

pdaly28

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 01:52:34 PM »
as it should be,but in so cal land is at such a premium.......Irwindale was built next to a rock quary so you would think it would last for years to come................not the way the Chinese think though..love the photos!

pdaly28

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 01:56:56 PM »
Patrick,
I know of other tracks that are gone, but I was trying to keep the ones I went to while I stilled lived in SoCal.
If Mesa Marin had not been closed, when it did, it still would not have lasted, as the last time i drove by that track less than a month before moving to FL, housing developments were closing in, there was nothing around that track when it was built. **when the family that owned mesa marin sold property to developers they signed there own death

Didn't know the Bakersfield(Oildale) track had closed.  still open...my error

Think Perris Auto Speedway may not last all that much longer either, as housing is encroaching on the fairgrounds.

Heard someone say, one night at Ascot after J.C. Agajanian passed away, he said that Ascot would not last once the lease was up......that his sons did not have the clout their dad did.

Seems like racing and politics do not get along in California......money is all that matters in so.cal

Track in Victorville at the fairgrounds, IIRC, was upgraded, but couldn't attract fans or cars(?) to make it work.

Too bad a dirt track couldn't have been built near the California Speedway, as housing will not be able to encroach on that area due to the ground contamination from the old steel factory....