Author Topic: Brewster Baker Camaro  (Read 4220 times)

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Brewster Baker Camaro
« on: February 18, 2018, 10:17:02 PM »
I had an interesting facebook conversation today. A gentleman contacted me, as he remembered a Brewster Baker car I built a year or two ago and is interested in having me build one for him. After quite a bit of back and forth, turns out he purchased the Brewster Baker Camaro 3 weeks ago.  The car was discovered a few years ago in Kenny Rogers Gambler Chassis shop in major need of restoration and is the only surviving movie car, and the one that Kenny Rogers did all of his filming in. Trivia: this car has a Powerglide trans!  Anyway, we had a nice back and forth and we're going to stay in touch. Made me feel like a celebrity to 'meet the guy' that owns the car, even if it was just online. The wonders of the internet!

sixpack001 by Tom Kirby, on Flickr

20170305_183901 by Tom Kirby, on Flickr

Grt222

Re: Brewster Baker Camaro
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 10:44:05 PM »
Tom, did he say who he bought it from? I remember back in 2016 where I seen richard from gas monkey garage and his friend dennis bought it back then. Just curious to know if he bought it from them. I remember also watching the movie the car pictured always had the wide five wheels on it, but the car gas monkey bought had steel wheels with small bolt pattern. I sure they used more than one car. Neat story.

john2

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 04:19:56 AM »
 :)  I love that movie. As much fun to see it towing on the highway, to that theme music,  as the race scenes.  At least for me.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 11:30:07 AM »
Tony, he got it from a broker in St. Louis that had purchased it from Gas Monkey guys. Tb

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 03:41:45 PM »
From what I've read, there were 5 movie cars. 3 were pretty well trashed and parted out after the movie. One was sold and raced on dirt and was destroyed in a crash. This leaves only the one left. It happens to be what I would call the "Hollywood car", the one in which Kenny Rogers was actually filmed as opposed to a stuntman which explains why it survived. If you watch real close in the movie the cars are slightly different. There's one that even has a windshield in it!  The Brewster Baker car has a long funky looking aluminum shifter connected to a Powerglide trans.

Mark, (the new owner) has owned Kenny's driving suit and helmet from the movie for awhile and when the car finally came up for sale he jumped on it. A real fan of the movie! According to the article I've read, the movie car was 'found' buried in Kenny Roger's Gambler chassis shop a few years ago. It was restored, including the original wide 5 wheels, (painted) although there are several shots of the movie cars with aluminum rims.  He's already on the hunt for vintage racing stickers to make it look more like the movie car.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/997763/1970-chevrolet-camaro-for-sale-in-st-louis-missouri-63028

And that's about all I know about that.

tb

Grt222

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:32:51 PM »
A few years ago it was at the lucas late model show at lawrenceburg speedway in indiana. I have some pictures somewhere I will try to dig up. It was pretty cool seeing it run around during intermission. Funny thing was it quit on the track and they had to put it on a roll back to get it back to the pits.