Author Topic: Buiding Pet Peeve ??  (Read 5691 times)

Lefturns75

Re: Buiding Pet Peeve ??
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 10:25:54 PM »
Brian, an accurate builder IS going to count his own rivets……every last one of them.  What he won't do is count someone else's.  The rivet counter some here speak of is the type that will be quick to point out what you should have done, how you should have done it, what is wrong, what parts aren't right and what parts you should have used.  It is those types that NEVER post a build anywhere and never even post a pic of a WIP. 

Every builder has a different skill level.  Every builder does things differently.  I am my worst critic.  That is why I have so many builds in the box unfinished.  I have built parts as many as 8 times and still not been happy with the result.  I argue with myself all the time during a build.  Crazy?  Maybe I am but if I'm not happy with it, I start over or put it away.  Sometimes I go back to the project later and I look at things differently.  If a builder that has won best of show at the GSLMCC a few times and other awards, I will listen to what he has to say because he can back up what he says with his work.  What I don't care about is the rivet counter type I spoke of.  How would they know if you did it right or wrong, they have never built Jack.  You know what they say in Missouri, "You gotta SHOW ME"!   

We are here to have fun, enjoy the hobby, talk models, swap ideas and maybe poke a little fun at each other at times.  Not to point out on open forum what someone thinks you did wrong.  If a builder asks me, I will tell him but by email or a PM.  Not that one would ask me, but thats the way I would deal with it.    As for lack of comments, I have had posts on forums with over 300 views and got one comment.  I don't get too excited about that, I look at a lot of posts that are beautiful builds and very well done and make no comment.  If it really gives my BVD's a wedgie, I will ask some questions or comment.  I figure the builder knows what it is or he wouldn't have posted it.  I might go back and look at the thread many times and never comment but that builder is helping me in some way with his post.  We all like a little encouragement but YOU have to be happy.  I don't build these kits, buy parts, paint and supplies to make forum members happy, I do it because I LIKE IT.  If someone else enjoys the builds, that's great.  I'll talk to you about it and answer questions all day.  If someone only wants to tell me what I did wrong and what I should have done, and why it is incorrect, I say show me yours Einstein, let's see how perfect yours is.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:37:00 PM by Lefturns75 »

TarheelRick

Re: Buiding Pet Peeve ??
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 06:33:17 AM »
"If someone else enjoys the builds, that's great.  I'll talk to you about it and answer questions all day.  If someone only wants to tell me what I did wrong and what I should have done, and why it is incorrect, I say show me yours Einstein, let's see how perfect yours is." 
This comment triggered a pet peeve of mine.  Since this thread has moved from the building aspect to posting I will continue.  My pet peeve is those builders that post a build, are asked questions about it, and do not come back to answer them.  "Comments and criticisms welcome", but there is no reply to even the most simple question "What type paint did you use, etc.?"
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.