Author Topic: Best Sprint Cars to Build  (Read 10700 times)

jchrisf

Best Sprint Cars to Build
« on: July 22, 2018, 10:53:51 AM »
Hey guys, I am new here and really love the look of newer Sprint cars.. Anything from the 80s to today basically.  What are the best kits to get and build and where do you get them? 

Also, is there a gallery here of the folks here's builds?  I can't seem to find much.

TarheelRick

Re: Best Sprint Cars to Build
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 09:01:13 PM »
Sprint cars have been out of production for a couple of years.  About the only place you will find any is on EBay, maybe some model shows/swap meets, some of the on-line sale sites, or you could post in the trade section of this forum asking other members if they have any for trade.  Most of those specialized race cars, especially the circle track variety had a short sale span and didn't stay on the market for a very long time.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 09:10:13 PM »
http://www.fredsmodelworldonline.com/new.htm
  Give this place a try...I have seen numerous Sprint Car kits for sale here at very reasonable prices
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Lefturns75

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 10:22:27 PM »
I have a few of the Monogram Sprint car kits left I would be willing to trade.   PM me.

jchrisf

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 05:07:30 AM »
Thanks everyone... What about the DTR line of sprint cars?

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 10:12:55 AM »
The DTR sprints are either the Revell/Monogram kits with local (as in cars that ran/run at the Jackson, MN track other other tracks in the MN/IA area) decals (stickers?) but the kit is the same as others that can be found either on other sites or maybe even the DTR site The last re-issue of the R/M sprint car kit was 2012/2014. these kits go together well, but you need "4" hands to attach the suspension pieces....so a hand made "jig" or buy one with clamps of some type to hold the frame while attaching the suspension parts...that that is my opinion. The tires/wheels in these kits are excellent

Older DTR/AMT/Ertl sprint kits are the old AMT Grant King sprint kits originally released in the mid '70's, thus based on an early '70's sprint car. These kits need a lot of finessing to get them to fit and look right. Though once you figure out what it takes, it's not a huge issue, just time consuming......Also the tires in any of these kits leave a lot to be desired. I built eight of these kits back in the day, but had no real choice but to use the kit supplied tires.....The DTR kits were issued around 2006/2007.

Hope this answers your question.... :o ??? ::)
If not let me know.......
Ed K.

sentsat71

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 10:26:42 AM »
To see some sprint car builds here, page through this topic.....
Ed K.

jchrisf

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 04:12:30 AM »
The DTR sprints are either the Revell/Monogram kits with local (as in cars that ran/run at the Jackson, MN track other other tracks in the MN/IA area) decals (stickers?) but the kit is the same as others that can be found either on other sites or maybe even the DTR site The last re-issue of the R/M sprint car kit was 2012/2014. these kits go together well, but you need "4" hands to attach the suspension pieces....so a hand made "jig" or buy one with clamps of some type to hold the frame while attaching the suspension parts...that that is my opinion. The tires/wheels in these kits are excellent

Older DTR/AMT/Ertl sprint kits are the old AMT Grant King sprint kits originally released in the mid '70's, thus based on an early '70's sprint car. These kits need a lot of finessing to get them to fit and look right. Though once you figure out what it takes, it's not a huge issue, just time consuming......Also the tires in any of these kits leave a lot to be desired. I built eight of these kits back in the day, but had no real choice but to use the kit supplied tires.....The DTR kits were issued around 2006/2007.

Hope this answers your question.... :o ??? ::)
If not let me know.......
I had no idea the DTR was just repacked.  Thanks for all the useful information!

jchrisf

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 04:13:47 AM »
To see some sprint car builds here, page through this topic.....

Did you post a link here?  I don't see it?  Or are you just saying page through the Open Wheel cars-modifieds/sprints threads?

jchrisf

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 04:20:28 AM »

GWSTEXAS

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »
Hi all,
Time to jump in here. I've dealt with SWS chassis for years. The work is incredible and you can actually specify a few modifications and Justin will accommodate if he can.If you want to build modern sprint cars, this is the place to go. Unfortunately, you'll need some stuff Justin doesn't make. For wheels and tires, the place to go would be Big Donkey Resins. They make a bunch of different tires and wheels (sold separately, which I like) and, last time I looked an older KKR sprint body kit. For the other thingies you have to have, I would suggest engines and drive line components from any of the Monogram/Revell kits. Buy the cheapest ones you can find. The parts you'll need are almost exactly the same in all of them. Those kits were done in 1/24, but the parts should work with a little fiddling. The Parts Box (Australia) has some of the extras as well. Warning: all of the SWS, Big Dog and Parts Box products are resin. If you're not used to working with that stuff, it can be tricky.
Now for the SHAMELESS self-promotion. I make custom decals and I've made a bunch (I stopped counting) of sprint car decals . Whatever sprint car you want to build, if you can find photos, I can almost certainly make the decals. Just send me an email at gws.decals@verizon.net and we'll talk.
Anyhow, this info should help you build incredible sprint cars for either shelf or show. 
Good luck,
Gary

sentsat71

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 09:26:46 AM »
jchrisf said:
Did you post a link here?  I don't see it?  Or are you just saying page through the Open Wheel cars-modifieds/sprints threads?

Yes, I was referring the Open Wheel section on this forum...

Sorry for the confusion.
Ed K.