News:

Welcome to Short Track Models!

Main Menu

1969 Richard Brooks Daytona Charger

Started by MarkJ, September 16, 2020, 03:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJ

Just finished over the weekend. Took 215 hours to build including the decals which took 56 hours of that time. This is supposed to represent the last winged warrior that competed in Nascar. The 1971 Daytona 500 was the race. Mario Rossi prepared the car and this was the only race it ever appeared in.  Bill France changed the rules on these cars for 1971, saying that if you wanted to run one you had to run a 305 cubic inch engine with one 4 barrel carb. Rossi took him up on it and almost won the race. He used a Keith Black prepared 340 cuda engine that had been prepared for trans am racing. It was destroked to 305 cubic inches. This stock block engine ran at over 9000 r.p.m.'s all day long and survived. If Brooks had'nt got caught up in a wreck with Pete Hamilton, he could have possibly  won the race. They were fighting for the lead on laps 97 and 98 when they tangled. Brooks ended up seventh. If you want to see how it came together click on the link below.
http://www.shorttrackmodels.com/index.php?topic=1701.0

Gary Davis

This is a killer build Mark. I mentioned in my post on the wip page that I wanted to build this same car except it will be the Bobby Allison car.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Dirtman

TarheelRick

Ah ha, my assumption was correct.  This is a very fine example of your craftsmanship with these builds.  Really enjoyed watching it come together and the finished product is definitely worth waiting for.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

TonyK

Very nice job on this model! I've always thought this was a strange paint scheme mostly because of the colors but I never forget it.

sentsat71

WOW!!!!

GREAT JOB on this build!!!!!!!!

Yep.....knew this was what you were building when you mentioned the small block engine in a Daytona....
The only Daytona to run a small block engine,
And the last Daytona to race in NASCAR....
Ed K.

Fordguy01

After watching the buildup I am in awe of the finished product and I totally agree with everyone's comments.
But man alive Mark this car is beyond outstanding and it was also very interesting history that you provided.

Al 

Michael F

Mark,
you´ve built a very cool model and your decalwork is outstanding. Thanks for sharing it with us!!
Greetings from Germany!

MarkJ

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the comments.

ARCA Guy

Jim N

Great job Mark!  Really outstanding scratch building!!

Rattlecan Dan

Great stuff! Not only an outstanding build, but a history lesson as well. Nice job man. Thanks for posting.

catpack68

Volzfan59

"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

MarkJ

Thanks, guys, for digging this one up again. It was another one of those cars that sparked my interest because they were so unusual yet very competitive by making good use of the rules that Nascar never thought they would try. Just think a Trans Am motor in a full-size stock car that almost won the Daytona 500. And of course, Dick Brooks was involved in two of these cars. The other one being the Mickey Mouse Plymouth that actually did win the Talladega 500.