Author Topic: What is this tank??  (Read 1483 times)

Tom Birky

• Administrator
What is this tank??
« on: November 03, 2022, 09:46:41 PM »
I'm going to add this tank (behind passenger side of firewall) to my Monza build. It looks kind of like a dry sump tank but I'm doubting that anyone was using one in 1980, but I could be wrong. Maybe an oil accumulator or some such thing? I see 2 lines running through the firewall but can't see where they go? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thx, Tom

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
Re: What is this tank??
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 10:17:41 PM »
....Yes , dirt late models in the Midwest were running dry sumps in 1980....from what I have researched there was a driver out of West central Mo. running a dry sump set up in a dirt late model in 1978, his name escapes me at the moment.
  That tank looks to either be an Aviaid or Peterson piece.  The Black hose that passes thru is from the output side of the pump, the Silver? colored hose goes to the input side of the pump.  There also appears to be hose attached to the Right side frame rail going towards the back side of the lower block that is part of the sump system as well as it doesn't look to be any sort of radiator overflow....perhaps goes to the sump pan itself???  The steel braided hose going towards the rear is more than likely attached to the tank breather.

This looks to be a 2 stage pump set up.  The recently resurrected Mustang II late model build that Im restarting has a 2 stage set up in case your interested. 
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington