Author Topic: R.I.P.  (Read 2726 times)

BobD

R.I.P.
« on: July 15, 2019, 01:42:54 PM »
Just read that Midwest late model legend & National Dirt Track Hall of Famer Verlin Eaker of Mechanicsville, IA passed away over the weekend.  He was not only a great driver, but also a great guy.  I loved the roar of his hemis during the 1960s.  Ironically, I am just finishing up my version of his #36 Mopar.  RIP Verlin!

Dirtman

Re: R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 03:31:30 PM »
It's always sad to hear of the death of one of our racing family. I don't believe I ever got to see him race, but heard, and read about him. Must have been a hell of a wheel man! RIP. We just lost one of the greats from Wisconsin, Miles Melius also. I watched him race since the 50's!

Rett

hemiman_2010

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 10:59:05 AM »
Wow very sad news what a racer he was, and like was said earlier a Nice Guy to his many fans. I miss those days and the time I spent at the local tracks it will never be like that again, modern race track are not being built and the old ones are being forced to close for many reasons, cars are so much more to build and purse's are lower and frankly people do not want to be involved with cars like we did years ago. now a young guy or girl puts a big goofy wing on their Honda Jazz along with a Bumble Bee sounding exhaust and think they are in the Fast and Furious Video Game.....while texting the hole time they are driving.......

john2

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 04:15:51 PM »
Always sad to lose our heroes of the past.  I miss those days so much.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Fordguy01

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 02:40:30 PM »
I never saw Mr. Eaker race but I've heard of him and it is always saddening of the loss of anyone,  I did have the privilege of seeing Miles (Mouse) Melius race at Capital Speedway in Oregon Wisconsin and he was always a super competitor and driver.  Thoughts and prayers for the families of both drivers.

Al