Author Topic: Arizona Speedway  (Read 2797 times)

BobD

Arizona Speedway
« on: March 01, 2020, 05:15:14 PM »
Just got home from a mid-Winter getaway to Arizona....Ricky Thornton Jr. (a transplanted Arizonan to Adel, Iowa) dominated much of the early season racing in the southwest. This night (Feb. 22) he captured both the Stock Car (300th career win) & the Modified (301) main events at Arizona Speedway in Queen Creek, AZ.  Didn't drive the late model that night, but had won in it previously. 

Ricky Thornton Jr - Adel, IA - #20RT SC winner by RD Dix, on Flickr

Ricky Thornton Jr. - Adel, IA by RD Dix, on Flickr

Ricky Thornton Jr. Adel, IA 20RT LM by RD Dix, on Flickr

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Re: Arizona Speedway
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 05:57:09 PM »
Glad you’re home safe and sound, Bob!!!  RT is something special for sure!  I hope he races at Vinton again this year!  It was fun watching him last year.  Cedarville two weeks from today.🏁🏁🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

sentsat71

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 11:45:48 AM »
There are a number of drivers/teams from AZ, CA and maybe a few other S/W states that come back to the midwest, a number of whom spend the summer racing seasons in Iowa and neighboring states as they can race more than one or 2 nights a week in CA or AZ and a lot less towing miles between tracks. Here in North and NW Iowa, they can race from Wed thru Sun.....and I'm sure that is the case in most parts of the state....But in my area, they can run Alta, (Storm Lake area) on Wed night, Algona, IA on Thurs night, Britt on Fri night, Fairmont, MN on Sat night. Sun nights used to be Spencer or Mason City....don't know what kind of schedule Mason City has, but the Spencer fairgrounds track has cut it's schedule way back this summer, and from what I saw, those races will be on Mon. night and less than ten events, not counting 2 nights during the Clay County Fair in Sept....
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 04:56:08 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it.

Bob, just where is Queen Creek, AZ ?  I can't find it on my maps. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

john2

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 05:22:12 PM »
Never mind.    David tells me it is SE of Phoenix,  and also,  in the meantime I had found it on Google Maps.  It was not on my Walmart atlas directory. 

I just like to know where places are.  I have been known to see a town name on a tractor trailer passing through on I 20, go home, and find it on my maps.  You can learn some interesting things that way. 

For instance there is an Atlanta Texas, and a Dallas Georgia.  Y'all can file this info under " Practically Worthless Information."
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 09:31:04 AM »
John2....

I can add a little tidbit as far as town names....Have read that there is only one town in the country that goes by the name of Cylinder....and it's a "thriving" community of 88 residents...as of the 2010 census, and it is just 15 miles from where I live in Fenton...Iowa.....

Also know what you mean when you are curious about where such and such city/town is.....now days I just check out google maps...
Ed K.