Author Topic: Is everyone in Iowa,Neb,Ill. Minn. and Wisc. o.k????  (Read 3855 times)

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
Is everyone in Iowa,Neb,Ill. Minn. and Wisc. o.k????
« on: August 10, 2020, 05:48:49 PM »
  Some wicked storms rolled thru the Hawkeye state today......been reading the damage reports coming out of the National Weather Service offices in the effected areas......some of the damage reports read like tornado damage reports even though these where strait line winds.  Not expecting to much of a response here just yet as the power outages are pretty much spread state wide thru out Ia.  Beginning to see some of the reports coming out of S.E Neb., Ill. Minn. and Wisc. .....doesn't look like they faired much better.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Fordguy01

Re: Is everyone in Iowa,Neb,Ill. Minn. and Wisc. o.k????
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 10:58:59 PM »
Brian I live in Plattsmouth Neb about 15 miles south of Omaha and the only thing I noticed when I woke up was a strong wind and only a few drops of rain when I put my dog out otherwise it was not to bad here.  I certainly hope everyone else in the affected areas are doing o.k.

Al

sentsat71

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 09:04:23 AM »
I was not anywhere near it here in Fenton, IA, as all that in Iowa was well South and East from here. Up in my area, we had some very thick cloulds that really dimmed the sunlight. Did have a Tp-storm move though with a few drops of rain....didn't even make it to the 1st bar on the rain gauge.....Most rain we've had here was this past Sunday, all of 3/4" of rain....My brother's saving $$ on me mowing his lawn this summer, since he and his wife did not make their usual summer trip to Iowa from SoCal.....thanks to Covid.......
Had someone tell me that we aren't getting the rain or storms around here because of the numerous wind turbines that went up last far. One can see clouds coming in from the West, then see them separate as they near here and go around the Fenton area.
Ed K.

Brian Conn

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 10:39:40 PM »
Brian I live in Plattsmouth Neb about 15 miles south of Omaha ........
Al
  You where about as close as your could get with out getting in it.....metro Omaha had numerous reports (Boys Town, Millard, Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Gretna) power outages, damage caused by trees...usual stuff.....

I was not anywhere near it here in Fenton, IA, as all that in Iowa was well South and East from here. .........Had someone tell me that we aren't getting the rain or storms around here because of the numerous wind turbines that went up last fall. One can see clouds coming in from the West, then see them separate as they near here and go around the Fenton area.

You must live up in the N.W part of the state.....there where 859 separate damaging wind reports with 38 separate reports of winds in excess of 75 m.p.h   from the looks of things , a majority of those 2 reports where generated in Iowa.....lot of reports out of the Des Moines area, Ames, Boone, Marshalltown, Cedar Rapids....the list just goes on and on.   

This was a Derecho that caused all of this.....at one time I was watching this particular storm impacting 4 states at once as it moved off to the East....incredible.       

sentsat71

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 01:53:47 PM »
Brian Conn....
I live more in the North Central part of the state, around 60+ miles WNW of Mason City, and a like distance NNW of Ford Dodge....if that helps you any.... ;) :) ;D ;D

Basically out in the sticks......so to speak.....have no idea where the nearest LHS is, outside of Hobby Lobby in Mason City, or Spencer, IA. the latter around 45 miles or so to the West....
Ed K.

steven

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 06:48:59 PM »
Just got our power back on since Sunday. Some neighbors were told it will be another week for them. Had Gail force winds and a few tornadoes come thru. Had one four blocks away from me and they have been cutting trees from morning to night. Power lines down everywhere trees thru houses and businesses lost roofs that were found a block over. Sirens were going for about an hour. Things around here probably wont be back to normal for a long while. Good thing is nobody was killed, but there were some injuries. Hope everyone else is ok. By the way I am just south of Ohare Airport by about four to six miles and only eleven to the lake front.
If you bought it a trucker hauled it.

I mind is a terrible thing to waste....has anybody seen mine??????

Brian Conn

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 09:38:48 PM »
.....you definitely seen the worse part of this particular storm.  Of the 16 tornado reports, 11 where in Illinois, of those 11, 3 where in Cook County (Chicago and vicinity) Rogers Park neighborhood, West Ridge, Park Forest.......happy to hear that you made it thru o.k   

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 07:01:27 PM »
My area in Wisconsin hardly got anything but rain.. Not complaining there! Lol
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

sentsat71

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 01:30:31 PM »
That'a good to hear, Doc....
Ed K.

sentsat71

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 01:31:45 PM »
I wonder about Tom & Greg Birkey.....as they live in those areas that got hit hard by these storms...
Ed K.

steven

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 02:52:34 PM »
.....you definitely seen the worse part of this particular storm.  Of the 16 tornado reports, 11 where in Illinois, of those 11, 3 where in Cook County (Chicago and vicinity) Rogers Park neighborhood, West Ridge, Park Forest.......happy to hear that you made it thru o.k   

There are more reports coming in that there where way more tornadoes then reported.  I hope every including the Birky guys are ok. I know they were suppose to get slammed worse then we did. Lost power again because they had to put a junction box on the pole. Had a huge dent in it. Plus there still cutting up trees to get lines untangled to run new ones. People across the street were told could be another week before they get power back. Been cutting trees all week. Hope we have nothing for a while.
If you bought it a trucker hauled it.

I mind is a terrible thing to waste....has anybody seen mine??????

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 08:35:00 AM »
A little rough but we are getting by. Hopefully power back on today. I think Greg is OK power back on last week. No major structure damage.

Thx! Tb

sentsat71

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »
Thanks for your chiming in...

I had a feeling that lack of power may have kept you from checking in here for a bit...

Good to hear that you're okay....!
Ed K.

Brian Conn

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 08:20:44 PM »
A little rough but we are getting by. Hopefully power back on today. I think Greg is OK power back on last week. No major structure damage.

Thx! Tb
   Good to hear you getting or have got your power on by now.....if you see or have seen any Evergy line crews or trucks ,they from down here in N.E Ks.  We had an issue a few days ago involving the power pole behind our house...the service man that came out mentioned it may take a few days to fix since the Topeka crews where in Lawrence (30 miles East) backing them up since their line crews where/are in Iowa.
  For those of you who didn't know, Cedar Rapids , Iowa was hit with 140 m.p.h winds from the Derecho that impacted the state on Aug. 10th.  ...that's low end EF-3 Tornado wind speeds or low end category 4 Hurricane wind speeds....Amazing     
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 07:28:00 PM by Brian Conn »

sentsat71

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 07:01:28 PM »
Thanks, Brian Conn for explaining the comparisons to the winds....

Don't remember the catagories of the hurricanes we went though in FL back in 2004. 1st one that hit Orlando head on was Charley....It was supposed to go North of Orlando, but came off the Gulf lower than predicted and caught Orlando off guard as they were snipping plywood the areas North of Orlando.....
Over the next 4-6 weeks Orlando was hit again, though the center came in below Orlando, both off the Atlantic.
Ed K.