Author Topic: old models  (Read 5977 times)

sentsat71

Re: old models
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 07:28:08 AM »
Rett...

There was one more move, but I don't remember it, as i was only 1 year old at the time.
Actually, when I was thinking about moving back to Iowa, the house I'm renting, was one I kept wishing I could afford, though at the time, I couldn't....It was being rented out by the time I got back here, but that couple bought a house in town just a block away, back 2016, by that time started collecting Social Security, to go along with pension from Avis. So I was offered the chance to move into after the other couple had moved out.

The owners of the house are former classmates, and they live in the house right next door. He owns an insurance operation here in town, and she is the City Clerk. City engineer is also a former classmate.....
Ah, the joys of small town living...... :) :D ;D
Ed K.

Dirtman

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 07:38:54 AM »
I grew up in Platteville, Wisconsin. At that time, 40's & 50's, the population was around 5000, so I'm familiar with small town living. And I know what you mean.

Rett

john2

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 08:22:58 AM »
 :)  I agree.  There is nothing like a small town.  Laundry, bank, drugstore, grocery store, post office, dollar store, barbershop, church, cafĂ©, gas station .............  all within two blocks.  I really miss that about Pelahatchie, but things change, and time moves on.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Dirtman

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 12:31:51 PM »
Yeah John, I know what you are talking about. I moved from the small town of 5000 to Milwaukee, Wi. There were 2600 students in my high school. Quite a culteral shock for sure!!

sentsat71

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 09:08:46 AM »
Rett....

My home town when I was growing up, had a population over 400, but now is well under 300......more like around 250, if that....
No grocery store, NO gas stations - used to be 3 when I was growing up.

Main street businesses today consist of bank, restaurant/bar, insurance office, Post office, Library, car wash in an old gas station, woodworking operation in the old lumber yard.that came close to burning down a couple of months or so ago.

Other business off Main street are cabinet shop, body shop, electrical shop that the owner works out of, does not sell anything out of that locations, just his storage/supply location.

And of course Grain elevator company....

Despite the problems this community has today, it's still not a bad place to live.....nice and quiet as compared to living in SoCal, Orlando and Albuquerque for 42 years......
Ed K.