Author Topic: paint stripping  (Read 2970 times)

bandit2026

paint stripping
« on: January 08, 2019, 02:09:54 PM »
What do you fellas use to strip paint. I normally use purple power , is there anything better or faster??

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Re: paint stripping
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 03:44:52 PM »
I use Testors ELO. Formulated for hobby paint, will not harm plastic. If its fresh paint, it works fast. I stripped a 30 year old paint job. It took a few days off and on. I usually pour a small amount into a ziploc bag, toss the body in and tumble it around to get it all wet. No need to completely submerge it. Use an old toothbrush and warm water to remove paint. It usually takes a few sessions to get it down to bare plastic. You can use a toothpick to clean around emblems and scripts.

Tb

john2

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 04:44:13 PM »
 :)  Same as for chrome.  LA's  Totally Awsome Cleaner.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Olderndirt

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 05:31:12 PM »
Purple power degreaser from Walmart. Great on all enamels, takes a little longer for lacquer. Have not had any problem with it attackingthe plastic. Not sure what it would do to resin.

Olderndirt

bandit2026

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 07:30:50 AM »
Thanks to all that replied

bandit2026

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 07:53:53 AM »
David ,you are so right. That's me up and down. The one I'm stripping was one of those and I never did like it. Maybe the second time around I can slow down and do a little better.

Olderndirt

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 09:01:55 AM »
David you are so right. When you mix chemicals and plastic models, it’s easy to turn you model into a puddle of goo. Slower working chemicals tend to be gentle on plastics, while the fast working stuff almost always does some damage. I have a plastic shoebox full of purple power that has a glue bomb in it most of the time.

Olderndirt

sentsat71

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 06:15:10 AM »
Tom...

Where do you find Testors ELO?
Ed K.