Author Topic: need some help  (Read 3013 times)

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
need some help
« on: August 09, 2019, 09:09:06 PM »
  The local, privately owned, hobby store that I have been patronizing for the last 10-11 years has closed down again....second time in the last couple of years....I'm a firm believer in spending my disposable income locally,but......
  The only reason that I have the amount of Evergreen plastic that I do is that when he got his shipment in (finally) last spring of Evergreen plastic I spent some decent coin buying up everything that I thought I would need to get me thru to the end of the year knowing that getting the rack restocked would take many weeks or even months from previous experiences >:(.  Went in a couple weeks ago to by a pin vise and noticed that it was slim pickings on most everything that I would be using (scratch building supplies,tools, CA products) HUGE selection of Military kits and model railroad stuff though ::) ended up finding a pin vise at Hobby Lobby. 
       So here is where I am enlisting the help from you guys....

I know some of you get you supplies from online retailers.  I'm needing some web addresses of reputable on line dealers that you use.
  Here's what I am needing to keep a supply of all the time:
  Evergreen Plastic .....I use a couple of Doz. different#'s of their product
  K & S Brass ....started using their product more often...looking for the blister pack amounts/sizes
  Bob Smith Industries ...the 8oz. bottle of Insta-Set for refilling the pump spray bottle, also the various CA glues
  Walthers Miniature Hardware  .... I use their 0-80 1/4" Hex head Brass machine screws for weight jacks.
  Pin Vise drill bits

I think with everything else I can go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels (some paints, brushes, X-Acto knives ,etc.etc.) and Lowes, Ace Hardware for the Dremal stuff.       
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 01:57:08 PM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Lefturns75

Re: need some help
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:44:08 PM »
Spruebrothers.com

TarheelRick

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 06:57:31 AM »
I usually order my styrene shapes directly from Evergreen.  They ship rather quickly and the prices are the same as in store.   I have no local stores that carry it, sure wish Hobby Lobby would pick it up. Much of my sheet stock I purchase as scrap from the local sign shop.  Their selection of thickness is a bit skimpy, but I have got some decent deals from them.  I know a lot of builders frown on it but I have been using straight MEK for glue.  A large can can be bought fairly reasonably from Lowes/Home Depot, transfer it into an empty glue bottle with a brush and you are in business.  Of course, you have to be sure there is sufficient ventilation, it is rather strong scented.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

RCR

• Ron Coon Resins
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 02:05:17 PM »
Hobby Lobby carries a wide variety of K&S products.

Brian Conn

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »
  Thank you everyone! :)  It now looks like I have every thing covered...from soup to nuts....

Spruebrothers.com
  WOW thanks! what an awesome sight...pretty much covers everything in one stop.

I usually order my styrene shapes directly from Evergreen.  They ship rather quickly and the prices are the same as in store........................   I know a lot of builders frown on it but I have been using straight MEK for glue.....................   Of course, you have to be sure there is sufficient ventilation, it is rather strong scented.
  I noticed that Evergreens prices were either at or even below what I was paying retail.  I ALWAYS keep a can of MEK with in an arms reach....for medicinal purposes of course ::)  I imagine that I have killed off more brain cells with that stuff than I did the years of my misspent youth.

Hobby Lobby carries a wide variety of K&S products.
  The local Hobby Lobby here in Topeka was low on inventory a while back ...the next time I'm out there I'll check in again, perhaps they have restocked.  The local Ace Hardware stores also stock K&S , just not much inventory wise.

Found out that I can order directly from Walthers Miniature Hardware for the small hardware pieces and individual pin vise drill bits.     

TarheelRick

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 02:02:11 PM »
Another source of sheet styrene is as close as your favorite big box store - "FOR SALE, BEWARE OF DOG, etc."  Some are thinner than others, but they are reasonably priced.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Brian Conn

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 09:18:52 PM »
  I am set as far as sheet styrene goes ....picked up about a doz. 2' X 3' size from said hobby store...  .015 and .020 thickness

Charlie.D

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 06:57:48 AM »
I seen my hobby lobby is now carrying evergreen plastic same price as the hobby shops
Charlie Daniel