Author Topic: Related to Marty's Topic on What You Build First  (Read 2805 times)

john2

Related to Marty's Topic on What You Build First
« on: September 19, 2019, 08:40:16 AM »
Just wondering how many models everyone has built over time. 

I'm pretty sure I've done 300-400.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

sentsat71

Re: Related to Marty's Topic on What You Build First
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 09:52:16 AM »
I have no idea of how many models I've built, but i KNOW it is no where even 300.....!!

Don't know if I could even account for what I did build....
So I would say somewhere around 100, maybe a few more....
Hard to tell since most of them are ancient history.....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 06:57:50 AM by sentsat71 »
Ed K.

Marty W

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 01:21:18 PM »
Maybe in the neighborhood of 200, but I'm not sure. Possibly more than that.

My first model was scratch built at around 4 or 5 years old. The neighbor was having a garage sale, and just out of my reach was the very first model kit I had ever seen. If I recall, it was a built up plastic kit of a US Navy destroyer.

I instantly fell in love with it, and went straight home to try and build one myself. Lacking the skill, the kit, and the knowledge, I ended up with a very crude, cardboard row boat. It wasn't pretty. But that was the beginning of my fascination with models of all types.

Lefturns75

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 01:23:25 PM »
"Over Time"?  What time frame we talking about, since I started building as a kid or the last 5 or so years?   If you count how many since I started building as a young, snot nosed kid, It would be safe to say the number is getting close to 7 or 800.  That includes everything, ships, cars, planes, figures, armor, stick and tissue wood and what ever else there might have been.  Now understand many of the early things met their demise from my Red Ryder, Range Model, 200 Shot Air Rifle with a compass in the stock, Firecrackers, Fire Bombs and just being crashed too many times.  A few got bounced off my bedroom wall and went out with the evening garbage.  As of this date, there are 300 + or - a few displayed in my display cabinets, sitting on the cabinets or hanging from the wall and ceiling.  The last couple of years I have only done about 7 cars but at least 5 flying aircraft, 3 rockets and one submarine along with a bunch of Matchbox restorations, Tonka Trucks, Structo Toys and a few gumball machines.  Yep, I'm spread pretty thin.  So I guess the bottom line is-----I dont know.  I have done this too long. 

john2

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 07:44:39 PM »
I meant the grand total.

john2

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
Bump.

TarheelRick

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 07:24:48 AM »
In 1984 I sold my complete collection of more than 150 kits, most were AMT annuals, Trophy series, or other AMT stuff.  Very little Revell or Monogram (Revell was too fiddly and did not like the Monogram size).  Out of those I will say there were probably less than 20 unbuilt.  This group of course did not include the ones I had destroyed in one fashion or another.  Rough guessing I had by then built close to 175.  Since my reintroduction in 1995 I have amassed a collection of 250+ kits and have built a total of...................15.  But I do have at least 12 in some form of construction.  Guess I am now more into buying and planning (dreaming) rather than building.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

sentsat71

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 08:27:18 AM »
Rick got me to thinking and counting....Since trying to get back into the hobby in 2006, have not counted how many I've started. but have yet to complete...... 1 .....Just did a quick count of kits I currently have on hand and it adds up to more than I thought...just 259.....That number has fluctuated over the years since I started buying kits....some were sold....some were traded...
But from when I first started.....up until around 1987 when I quit.....I have no idea. A lot of my early collection were from builds I inherited from my brothers....only very few of those survived over the years.....from trying to rebuild them into something else, or just part of a purge, the 1st real big purge was end of 1980....Many of what survived of those were tossed prior to the move from FL to NM...both kits and most of my builds from my big building time from 1973 thru 1980....

Most of those "survivors" have been posted elsewhere here.....

Still trying to move ahead on the Octoberfest build....
Ed K.

johnb

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 07:20:22 PM »
I've got about 60 built with another 100 yet to do.