Author Topic: decals  (Read 3210 times)

bandit2026

decals
« on: December 24, 2019, 05:29:31 AM »
I have some decals that I would like to preserve until I get a chance to use them . Should I clear them with clear paint or use future??

TarheelRick

Re: decals
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 07:14:32 AM »
I would store them between pieces of wax paper (the kind you use in the kitchen), keep them in a folder in a somewhat climate-controlled storage area (low humidity, low light, and no extreme temperature fluctuations).  Then when you get ready to use them, spray them with a light coat of Testors Decal Bonder or something similar.  I do not believe Future would work very well on decals.  JMHO.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

bandit2026

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 03:04:52 PM »
Thanks guys and a Merry Christmas to all.

Marty W

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 06:21:08 PM »
Good tip on the decal film. I could have used that numerous times!

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 01:44:58 PM »
  I might add to what has already been mentioned.....
....From the writings of Bob Hayden
  ".......Old decals may fall apart when you soak them in water.  Coat the decal film before application with a clear gloss, or with Microscale Superfilm.
  Decals that refuse to stick can be applied with a diluted solution of white glue.  Yellowed decals can often be saved by taping them to a South-facing window for a day or two, allowing the sun to bleach them.
  .............Temperature and humidity fluctuations are the enemies of decal film.  Store decals in a cool, dark, dry place, in an air-tight container.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington