Author Topic: Looking for advise on Late model build  (Read 2506 times)

Bob P.

Looking for advise on Late model build
« on: December 26, 2019, 10:08:13 AM »
I'm going to build a replica of the number 32 Mustang in the photo below.
I will be using a Nascar kit.
I'm looking for suggestions, on how to get the proper tire clearance to the fender openings.
I have built two late model replica's in the past and one had more tire clearance than this car. I lowered the rear end down by putting a spacer above the  rear coil springs. On the front end, I cut the frame off and lowered the front part of the frame.

Maybe you guys have some better methods to correct this problem, when using a Nascar kit, for a dirt late model.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Bob P.

Re: Looking for advise on Late model build
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 04:09:20 PM »
David,

I think I understand most of what your saying.
After I mount the wheels and suspension temporally and cut out the fender openings to match the picture of the model I'm building, if I don't have enough tire clearance, on the top, I may need to extend the body side panels down to cover the frame rails.

Bob

Bob P.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 04:54:16 PM »
Thanks David!

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 01:27:18 PM »
....little bit late to the discussion, just got back to civilization and being on the grid....
 In keeping the build simple, you don't have to temporally mount the suspension, wheels and tires.  Go ahead and finish them as you would normally and then determine what needs to be done to the body as far as wheel well openings, body rake and etc. ....pretty much as David explained it.....its a whole lot simpler that way as you have already established the ride height as far as the wheel height in relation to the chassis is concerned....ever seen a stock car build that looks more like a 4X4....
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington