Author Topic: model price  (Read 2349 times)

bandit2026

model price
« on: July 24, 2020, 05:35:47 AM »
No this is not a post of the cost of kit this is a question on built kits. I have about 100 models that   I've built and a guy wants to buy some and I don't know what to charge. Some are oob and others are my own creations. Some have after market parts. So what are they worth?? 

TarheelRick

Re: model price
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 06:51:39 AM »
Price is in the eye of the buyer and the heart of the seller.  Whatever price you can negotiate that satisfies both you and the buyer is what they are worth.  I have built kits I would not "take $1000" for, but if someone walks in with a crisp $50 they could probably walk out with it.  Our builds are part of us, but if you are seriously intent on selling them do not let your nostalgia get in the way of a fair price.  Just my $.03 (inflation price).
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 07:20:10 AM »
I'm in the same situation. I just down sized to a mobile and don't have the space for all my built kits. Been trying to figure out what to do with them myself.

Rett

john2

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 12:06:18 PM »
I have no idea, but I am an old softie on stuff like that.  Models are like jigsaw puzzles.  Once you have finished them, that's pretty much it.  I guess it depends on how bad you need to let'em go. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Marty W

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 10:16:09 PM »
You might try sampling prices on ebay. Search "built model car", then in the left column, scroll down and check the box that says "sold". It should give you some guidance.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:55:51 AM by Marty W »

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 11:21:36 PM »
Here's a link to someone who sells built kits:
 http://www.fredsmodelworldonline.com/new.htm
 scroll down to the built kit section
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

sentsat71

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 11:32:20 AM »
Another place to check for built model prices is Spotlight Hobbies web site....they have a "Built models"
That would give you another look at pricing...

Fred's Model World has listings for built models, but on the cheap side....
Great for the buyer.....but not for the seller.....

Ed K.

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 09:47:44 PM »
...............Fred's Model World has listings for built models, but on the cheap side....
Great for the buyer.....but not for the seller.....

I use his prices to determine whether a kit is worth buying or not......keep in mind that he had to buy that kit/build at an agreed price from some one and I would imagine that he has a certain % mark up.  I would go so far as saying that what he has is priced at fair market value.  He has also put together the AMT AND ERTL MODEL KIT VALUE GUIDE......I don't have a copy, but I have heard it to be the go to source for those kits.   
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington