Author Topic: Photobucket - change of heart?  (Read 3486 times)

Bill in MA

Photobucket - change of heart?
« on: May 27, 2018, 09:56:11 AM »
Last Friday at work I was telling a couple of the guys about the Glue Bomb CBP and logged on here to show them my '72 Chevelle.

"Unfortunately you won't be able to see the 'before' pics because they're on PB and they've disabled free hosting." I said.

Well, imagine my surprise upon discovering that the pics are back!

I even checked the URL thinking maybe I was losing it.  ;D

http//i848..photobucket.com...…  Yup, it's PB alright.

Were they beaten into submission?  ;)
Professional driver on closed course.  Do not attempt.

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
Re: Photobucket - change of heart?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 10:19:59 AM »
No, they were not beaten into submission.... anyone who would go back to them for their only source of 3rd party hosting or join them is a fool.
    Once bitten twice shy.....
  If your a member there and have had NO issues in the past or are totally pleased with the site and what it provides, then you are one of the very, very lucky few. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 10:45:59 AM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Bill in MA

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 10:59:49 AM »
I guess I'm just lucky then.  I know that I saw that awful speedometer image in place of pics for a long time. 

Whatever I have there will stay but I won't be uploading anything new.  Who knows what might happen?   Here today, gone tomorrow....
Professional driver on closed course.  Do not attempt.

Brian Conn

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 01:29:56 PM »
 Yea, I haven't uploaded anything to there for a couple of years. I still have a few pictures there that I haven't dredged from my old acct.  Some others are still missing from there all together.    A few weeks ago,  I went to retrieve a handful of pictures. It took me around an hour because of having to deal with the pop up adds and other related vile filth.
 Fortunately, almost all if not all of my pictures have been backed up on either the hard drive or disk.
  Like I said in the previous post, there are a few lucky ones out there, that for what ever reason, have emerged from all of this virtually unscathed.  There where former paying acct. holders that have lost everything....so it didn't matter whether you paid the premium price or went the free route ,you where going to be inconvenienced by the decisions of the p-bucket brain trust, it was going to happen despite being a paid member or not...some faired better than others.       

john2

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 05:41:03 AM »
 :)Thanks, David. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Brian Conn

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 11:30:22 AM »
...Biggest line of crap that I have read in a long time....they are so full of them selves.  3rd party hosting is not going to be free, which you would need to post pictures here at the basic plan of $2.49 a month , notice that they will no longer have an annual plan, so I guess that you will have to pay once a month, every month  ....at least there was mention of a price increase after a certain amount of time, so you have been warned.   
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 02:21:17 PM by Brian Conn »

Brian Conn

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 02:53:51 PM »
  I'm not a shill for Fotki , but to put this in to perspective cost wise....
 I pay $24.00 a year for 100 GB of Photo storage with no ads and unlimited bandwidth ....uploading pictures is E Z peasy (Windows)   ......with what I have loaded into my Fotki acct. over the last couple of years I am only @ 15% storage used.

with p-bucket ....
  You will pay $ 2.49 monthly , every month or you get locked out ( acct. being hijacked and held for ransom I presume) which equals $29.88 a year for a measly 2 GB  of photo storage.
  They try and lure you in with a $1.99 a month plan with 10 GB for a limited time ...once that has expired and lets say you have 3 GB worth of pictures you either have to pay the extra price for an intermediate plan at $3.99 + $2.49 hosting fees a month or the expert plan at $8.99 + $2.49 hosting fees per month to keep what pictures you have already loaded into your acct.    sort of akin to a bait and switch tactic using your pictures and videos as insurance that they will get their money out of you, one way or another....I shudder to think what they(Photobucket) are capable of if someone would choose to do a monthly direct pay to p-bucket from their bank acct.     

Lefturns75

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 03:41:31 PM »
I use Postimage.org and Imgur and pay nothing.  I do not see any pop-ups or ads as I use a MAC.   I tried Fotki but after lots of problems was told Fotki did not communicate  well with the MAC system and I was told I should switch to Windows.  Really?  I asked for a refund and to close my account so they closed the account as I asked but kept the money.  If Windows and Microsoft is the only option, I will become computer-free.  When all the free sites are gone and the only way to post a photo from my computer is Farcebook, I will never be heard from again.  As for Photobucket, I wouldn't touch them with rubber gloves for fear being a scumbag is contagious.  I'm getting too old for all this Hokey-Pookey, I don't need it.