Author Topic: Appreciating the Other Classes  (Read 3249 times)

David Bogard

Appreciating the Other Classes
« on: June 14, 2019, 09:15:26 AM »
I am growing much more fond these days of the Modifieds, Hobby Stocks and other classes at I-30 Speedway these days. Late Models have become generally boring to me as all of them just "floor" it all the way around, the bodies all jacked up and twisted out of shape, and around they go. The slide jobs and crossovers have become boring in themselves and mostly it's just a stretched out deal and few guys pass anyone. It appears we have made Late Models so fast and so easy to drive that we've just about killed them in opinion.

Go to your local track and enjoy all of the lower classes because you will usually see much better racing!!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Olderndirt

Re: Appreciating the Other Classes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 09:46:47 AM »
I agree, there is just something special about watching a driver searching for that perfect balance between power, and control. Watching some classes today just doesn’t demonstrate enough of that for me.

Olderndirt

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 10:03:01 AM »
The stock cars (imca rule) and hobby stocks put on a great show, 2 of my favorite classes.

Tb

BobD

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 11:25:45 AM »
Agreed here....our area IMCA Stock Car class almost always produces close, tight finishes - in fact, the winners frequently come from the rear of the pack!  Almost unheard of in the late models.

john2

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 04:41:00 PM »
I hate these late models that look like they going to fall over in the turns.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 09:22:43 AM »
Tom....
Gotta' agree with you on the IMCA Stock Cars and Hobby Stocks! Those Hobby stock drivers drive like they are going after a 5 figure purse!  Even in the heat races! As a result, things can get a bit wild at times....Around here, we get the IMCA Modifieds and Sport mods, not the late model equivalent...There are a few modified drivers that really put on a show.....Witnessed that this past Thurs. night at the 1/3 mile track in Algona, IA. Jeremy Mills put on a driving show, and took the Modified main event, to, IIRC his 99th win....couldn't quite hear him on the PA, so don't know if that is just in the modifieds, or in other cars as well. Don't know his history....

Like others have mentioned about all the wraps on the cars these days, one has a hard time trying to see what the car #'s are, even on the front straights.....
Even some hobby stocks and stock cars are just as "bad".....

How many tracks out there run a "Cruiser" Class?
In my immediate area, only the Algona track runs them....
Ed K.

TarheelRick

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 01:37:30 PM »
On a sadder note, I just found out yesterday the local dirt track has chained its gates for good.  It began as a dirt track many years ago, then the owners decided to pave it.  That lasted for a couple of seasons, then they dug up the asphalt, rebanked the corners and turned it back into a dirt track.  I have not been there in a couple of years, but I thought they were doing quite well.  They raced late models, modified 4's, street stock and a couple of other classes.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.