Construction Topics > Fab shop-under construction pics

'78 Mustang Extreme Make over part Deux (Nov. 24 2022 UPDATE )

<< < (9/9)

Brian Conn:

--- Quote from: Greg Birky on December 30, 2019, 09:48:11 PM ---Looking real sweet, Brian!  Reminds me of this one of Kenny Schrader!
Hosted on Fotki

--- End quote ---
  You have absolutely nailed the look that I am after with the rear deck spoiler and side boards/rudders ....similar to the previously done build/version from '08 only this time with more clear plastic to represent the Lexan.  That picture that you posted is the first time ever that I saw that "Kenny car" ...another one saved to the hard drive,thanks :)

--- Quote from: David Bogard on December 29, 2019, 10:34:40 PM ---This thing gonna start and run when you're done? A lot of "working" detail in this one!

--- End quote ---

If that engine fires up and runs, then perhaps I should lay off of the New Years Eggnog ::)
  This is my very first build utilizing a dry sump system.....I wanted to go that route to lower the engine and create the much needed space under the hood.  I figured I go all in before I did the research on what entails a dry sump system.....needless to say I put the cart before the horse.  Once the engine was placed , the 2 stage pump and Gilmer drive belt assemblies are all but obscured.  I did manage to find just enough room to place the 2 stage oil filter set up between the Left side of the engine and back side of the fan shroud.
  There was some discussion a while back reference the duct work ahead of the radiator on build that Lefturns75 is doing.  What I have come to find out is that the air box between the radiator and front grill would have been a three sided box with the bottom open to allow dirt and mud to fall back to the racing surface, yet allow air to be drawn up from under the front of the car.  I am still trying to hunt down some pictures of an East coast dirt modified of that era that would, perhaps, better demonstrate this.

Brian Conn:
.....Its been nearly 3 years since I have done anything with this build.  Since that time, I have learned some more building techniques and have completed 2 builds.  I went back thru this thread a deleted text and pictures that are no longer relevant to this build to create a fresh starting point where I can begin to finish this build.
  Judging by the traffic in my Fotki acct. reference this particular build, there is still plenty of interest or at least interest in viewing the pictures by others of this build which was a deciding factor to move it off of the back burner and complete it. 

New for 2022 updates soon........ 

Tom Birky:
Gitr done! Time to drop the checkers on it Brian!

Tom

Brian Conn:
  A lot has happened since December 29th 2019, approximately the date that I last did anything with this build.  I was able to pick up, recently, where I had left off in regards to re working the body.  One thing that I have decided to do with this build that I would never have attempted 2 years ago is some subtle weathering.  I will be shooting the completed chassis with Testors Dulcote to knock down the shine and sparkle that is still present and make it more realistic looking.

Completely redid the grill facia using Evergreen strips.  I'm not quite done with the grill as there are still some apparent areas that still need some attention.  Used the AMT/ERTL '77 Mustang II's grill as reference.

Built a new hood using styrene sheet and strips. Used the AMT/ERTL '77 Mustang II's hood as a template to make a longer hood for this build.  Scale 3" over the fender line bubbled hood with a 4" scale hood scoop.
  There are still some high spots on the fender tops as well as the hood that need smoothed out.  I screwed up on my measurements for the hood scoop template and made a hole for the air cleaner that it doesn't need, so I will fill it in as the top of the air cleaner sits below the hood scoop.  I had to make a hood scoop due to clearance issues with the air cleaner, oil breathers ,distributor cap and radiator.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version