Author Topic: 1963 Junior Johnson Chevy  (Read 10175 times)

MarkJ

1963 Junior Johnson Chevy
« on: March 20, 2018, 07:41:39 AM »
Finally finished this one after 3 months. It actually took 263.5 hours to complete. I believe that is the longest I've ever taken to complete a model. 31.5 of those hours were for the decal sheets. I used Tamiya paint, P.P. P. tires and wheels, and the decal sheets are testors clear sheet because this is a white car. I also used evergreen styrene sheets, tubes, strips and rods for the scratchbuilt items. If you want to see how the model came together look in the under construction site on this board for 1963 chevy.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:15:46 AM by MarkJ »

Lefturns75

Re: 1963 Junior Johnson Chevy
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 09:47:27 AM »
Been waiting for this Super Tex.  I have pretty much run out of words to use when I see your latest projects but I think you understand I enjoy each and every one of them.  It is a shame some of the wonderful scratch-hammering gets lost in that black chassis but I KNOW what is there, I followed the build.  "Jun-Yah" would love this one.  I think I can say that you have established yourself as the man to watch on these projects and I feel others will agree.  You keep doing what you do and I'll keep watching, I'm having as much fun as you are.  Once again you get my vote---Sweeeeeeeeeeeettttt! 

ARCA Guy

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 02:35:37 PM »
Nice detail - like it!

MarkJ

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 04:18:21 PM »
Thanks, guys. This is the car I based the model on. the one he drove in the Southern 500. It's the only car I could find with good reference of the front, back and left side of the car and it let me know that it still had the interior trim panels on the doors for that race. I was able to get the good reference because it was from a "you tube" video of the race that somebody posted on this board some where . I thought I had saved the link to the race but I guess I did not. I tried to find it on google but could not find it again.   The semi good shots I got of the car were screen captures of the car entering the pits, junior sitting in the pits shows the door trim panels through the windshield and also what contengencies were on the sides of the car, and then I was able to see the way the taillights were done when the car left the pits. If anybody has the link to that you tube video, I would appreciate if you could post it here.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:20:23 PM by MarkJ »

BobD

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 07:31:51 PM »
Great attention to detail......excellent interior!

Dirtman

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 10:12:52 PM »
263.5 hours! Man, it shows!!!!! Excellent work with an excellent result! You da man!

Rett

Michael F

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 03:16:42 AM »
One of the finest Junior models i´ve ever seen!!

It´s worth the wait. The details are amazing and your decalwork is very impressive, as allways!!

Very well done, Mark !
Greetings from Germany!

sentsat71

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 05:14:00 AM »
WOW!!!

Ed K.

MarkJ

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 06:53:16 AM »
Thanks guys. David , I could not remember how I got that video but thank you so much for the p. m. that you sent it to me with. Its a shame that they took it down. It was so interesting to watch and a great source of reference as I have already stated. I have the screen captures that I will post after I get them to a size that will fit here.

MarkJ

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 05:03:43 PM »
Here are the screen captures I got from the you tube video. not real clear, but good enough to confirm some things about the real car. I added some notes about what I observed on the pictures so I wouldn't forget them on the model. This was just one version of the car. I have a picture showing three different versions some where parked together  but it only shows the back part of the car. If I find it I will post it.

MarkJ

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 08:11:09 AM »
I was wrong. They weren't three Junior cars. One was for Buck Baker and the other for G.C. Spencer. But probably by the end of the season Junior was using all of them.

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 01:31:06 PM »
GREAT job on this cool Chevy Mark. Your attention to the small details really show in your work. It's simply a joy to watch your wips.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

MarkJ

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 03:41:43 PM »
Thank you very much, Gary. I really appreciate the feedback here, and during the wip.