Author Topic: 11-7-2018 Don Gregory Cutlass Salon  (Read 4580 times)

David Bogard

11-7-2018 Don Gregory Cutlass Salon
« on: October 30, 2018, 03:39:24 PM »
I've wanted to build this for a while but every time I looked at the old resin body I picked up in a trade a couple years ago, I just tossed it back in the box. I used one before in my Curt Hansen build and it wasn't too bad but this one had more holes in it than swiss cheese, was warped, and was overall quite a mess. I've got probably 10 hours in just trying to get the body workable and after a little more work on it, I should be able to start hacking and reshaping it a little to better reflect the Gregory Cutlass.
The 180-degree headers are pretty funky and I had to fabricate a cove into the firewall in order to get the left bank tubes around back and into the interior. I doubt that any were ever done this way in real life but that's okay, it's plastic and it's a hobby!

The main cage work is done enough for me to have a good solid resting point for the body.

I have a long way to go on the body but at least now I've got a basic shell to work with that's reasonably straight with most all of the holes filled.

This one will take a while but if I can get it anywhere near where I "see" it in my head, it'll be a reasonable tribute to Don Gregory's famous and fast Olds Cutlass.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 03:42:15 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Bob P.

Re: Don Gregory Cutlass Salon
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 04:54:51 PM »
Looking good David and I know you can work one more miracle.

Bob

Dirtman

Re: Don Gregory Cutlass Salon
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »
Looks like a pretty good start David. I'm sure you'll get it figured out!

Rett

ARCA Guy

Re: 11-2-2018 Don Gregory Cutlass Salon
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 02:26:54 PM »
Can't wait for this beauty to be done! Great start!

Marty W

Re: 11-2-2018 Don Gregory Cutlass Salon
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 03:11:47 PM »
Another nice, clean start, David. It's looking good!

As for the headers, if it can be done, somebody probably did it, somewhere.

Lefturns75

Re: 11-6-2018 Don Gregory Cutlass Salon
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 04:08:10 PM »
When I first read about this car in SCR years back I thought Don had lost his mind.  It didnt matter, he was fast in anything he drove!   I love the way you can take one of those nascar chassis and make ANY body look like it belongs there.  I have tried a couple of times and mine look like some sort of cartoon attempt.  This is gonna look just down right killer.  Which decals are you going to use?

Lefturns75

Re: 11-7-2018 Don Gregory Cutlass Salon
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 04:12:26 PM »
Keep fooling with it David, you will get it.  Dont make it too smooth and slick cause Don used em.  I didnt hurt his feelings one bit to push, shove, crowd, rub, lean and sometimes just plain drill ya if you had it coming and would do all of it while being wicked fast so add a skid mark or two. 

MarkJ

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 07:58:13 AM »
Looks like another great one in the making. That purple is very vibrant and striking. Looking forward to more on this one.

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 05:55:52 PM »
...Not really an idea rather thinking out loud....
  Would the 1:1 car had been painted White first and then masked off for the Purple?  I've never applied liquid mask to a decal before, but I don't see how it could negatively effect the decal once it has completely dried....may have to give that one a try sometime just to see what happens.  Do you see what I'm getting at being hind site is 20/20?  Paint everything White except for the hood and fenders, apply the decals allowing them to set and dry, liquid mask the White portion of the decal in the door area and mask as you would normally the roof, 1/4 panels, etc. etc. Shoot the Purple and unmask everything.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 09:13:30 PM »
  SO, if you could go back to just the primered body, would you do anything different knowing what happened.  Your new found use of clear decal paper sounds very promising...keep us posted on progress.   
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

MarkJ

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 12:35:48 PM »
That's some awesome looking graphics you got going on there. This is really going to be an eye catcher.