Author Topic: Fireball Roberts #11 Coupe update late Sunday night  (Read 2492 times)

421sd

• Fred's crossover, Ocala, Fl.
Fireball Roberts #11 Coupe update late Sunday night
« on: August 09, 2020, 11:43:44 PM »
This old build was started back in 2015. Originally intended to be a ficticous build, I set it aside for other started projects. I really like 'em in the set up stage W.I.P. getting the stance established , so I often tend to set them aside for a while in case I decide to make major changes. Now before you men BUST MY CHOPS, Yes I know the real car was a '38 Ford coupe. Well we all know Karl Stark is out of the resin business except for himself. I didn't opt for the Monogram '37 Coupe because I prefer 1/25 scale. Just my preference. So................Just before the VIRUS showed up here in the USA, I saw the decals for this build on Evil Bay. I bought them and that's when I decided to finish this old girl. I researched this thing best I could and it seems Smokey Yunick built the car and the engine. Fireball ran this one early in his career on the dirt and at Daytona. I used an AMT '49 Merc FLATHEAD with aftermarket heads, manifold and carbs from Norm Vaber's REPLICAS and MINATURES of Maryland. I made the headers from .062 solder and drilled the ends out. She rides on PPP resin wheels, and 1/24 Monogram passenger tires. I cut the stock center chunk out of the stock axle set up and installed an EARLY FRANKLIN quick change. The rollbar, bumpers and interior are all scratched from Evergreen. Hope I finally have figured out Flickr. I'm still a little unsure of myself . I welcome any correction on the history of the car.
  IMG_2313 by Mark Box, on FlickrIMG_2325 by Mark Box, on FlickrIMG_2356 by Mark Box, on FlickrIMG_2352 by Mark Box, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:41:09 AM by 421sd »
Born in Nashville, Tn. grew up attending races at Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway.

Fordguy01

Re: Fireball Roberts #11 Coupe update late Sunday night
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 04:19:59 AM »
Great replica build very neat and clean.  Once you get flicker figured out how about a shot or two of the engine.

Al

421sd

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 06:38:15 AM »
Engine shot! IMG_2346 by Mark Box, on FlickrIMG_2486 by Mark Box, on Flickr
Born in Nashville, Tn. grew up attending races at Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway.

Dirtman

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 08:03:38 AM »
Wow! I don't care if it's '38 or "39, this critter is cool. Great job!

Rett

421sd

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 09:01:07 AM »
Thanks Rett, thank you Ford Guy. I appreciate your interest and comments.

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 10:31:47 AM »
WOW!!!!!
Ed K.

Fordguy01

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 05:15:25 PM »
That engine really pops shucks the whole car really pops.

Al

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 08:44:10 PM »
Really nice work on this one! Like the stance, engine details and the decals.

421sd

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 10:48:49 PM »
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

john2

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 07:59:22 AM »
It's really nice Mark.  Good to see you posting again. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Olderndirt

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 09:11:48 AM »
 Some of the first kits I built as a kid were the AMT ‘40 Fords. I loved them then, and as I am in the process of moving my model stuff into a new house, and have found more than a few long stalled projects using ‘40 Ford coupes, sedans, and sedan deliveries, as a starting point, I have to admit they are still a favored canvas to start a new project on.
 This old racing coupe, really takes me back to the early days of dirt track racing in my home town. I love where this is going, keep us updated.

Olderndirt

ModelCarMan AKA Ricky

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 08:14:04 AM »
Sweet build!

421sd

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 02:13:03 PM »
hank you everybody.........I was absent a long time mainly because of Photobucket going away. Strange how I spliced copper cable and fiber optics , new construction and  maintence, areial and underground, for 44 years) and a photo program could be so challenging.
Last thing I ever want to be is a whinny butt, so I just laid low until I finally figured it out. I used the great instructions that were posted on here several times to no avail. Several intelligent people tried to assist me and I so appreciated the help. The light bulb just would not come on. Finally it turns out my laptop with Windows 10 (4 years old) needed a good laxative and updating, then all of a sudden it wasn't so hard after all. The instructions went well. I still may not be as active as some of you but I sure do enjoy the hobby and the friendships I have made thru this forum. Soon, I will post the tow truck for this old coupe over in another category, gotta go mow the grass!