Author Topic: Favorite Resin Casters  (Read 13254 times)

sentsat71

Re: Favorite Resin Casters
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 06:33:43 AM »
I know what you mean, Brian. That was my intention when getting ready for the move from FL to Albuquerque back in 2005, which is why I tossed so many builds from the '70's and a few that dated back to the late '60's as i was determined to go back to model railroading that I dabbled in also in the '70's. 1st hobby shop I checked out that was strictly trains, I about had a heart attack when I saw the prices.....So much for returning to model railroading. Slow started buying model car kits, but at first did not have a place to start building.....But when I got a work table set up and started building......there went the interest.....have lost count of how many builds I've started....that are now still sitting packed away......

David,
Back around 10-12 years ago, most kits were still under $20......now, those same kits are more $25-30 per kit.......but they are still MUCH cheaper that even ready to run model railroad items.
In less than 10 years, Albuquerque lost one trains only store, one model car/plane/RC store, and one hobby store had was a large building that had model car kits, model railroading from N to G scales, and RC. A couple of people who worked the last store I mentioned, bought the RC and model kits part from that store and opened a much smaller store in a small strip mall. If it weren't for one guy in that store, there probably would not be any model cars sold there, as RC stuff is their biggest seller.
Then there his the model car club in ABQ. of which the then president of the club would buy EVERY new released kit! And I mean every model car kit. at the monthly meetings, he would have the latest released and have the boxes opened for members to check out what's in the box. From what I've heard, he has kits stashed all over his condo, and even has a storage unit that back then was almost impossible to walk in back then.....granted, that was just over 4 years ago just before I left ABQ...
Ed K.

Hondo

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 01:24:59 PM »
Larry & Bonnie at Big Donkey have awesome parts & service. Good folks !
About the only other resin I've used is on drag cars and that's Roger Keltz @ Comp Resins.
Usually get that from Becky & Gene at Slixx because they're East Coast and CR is in Cali.

Again, all great folks to deal with.

GWSTEXAS

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2018, 10:42:28 AM »
Good morning all,
I seldom post here because I seldom have anything very interesting to say, but today I think I do.
I learned yesterday afternoon of the death of Gary Doucette. Gary was resin caster who did Indy cars almost exclusively. His projects were mostly unusual, but he didn't care. If he liked the subject he did the project and didn't much care how many he sold. His only concern was historical accuracy. How many other resin casters would even consider a model of a 1930s vintage Ascot sprint car or Wilbur Shaw's "Pay Car?"
To say Gary was old school would be a horrible understatement. He didn't have a website or post on message boards or even send email. This was mainly because he didn't own a computer. He told me he was too busy to figure out how to work one. I think he had a cell phone, but I was always afraid to ask. He sold his kits on eBay under the name "Oval Track Legends" (they were posted by a friend of his who DID have a computer.)
I had the privilege of making the decals for Gary's more recent kits, but, more important, I had the privilege of calling him my friend. I will always remember his good humor, enthusiasm and passion for racing. He will be missed.

Gary

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 09:38:29 PM »
  I recently searched high and low for an early 60's Ford Falcon body...kept getting told that it was either out of stock or no longer available.   I had totally forgot about Big Donkey Resin having an early 60's Ford Falcon body...went online and ordered one...turn around time was fast from the time that I ordered it to when it arrived at my door step.

#008 '62 Falcon Sportsman $25.00  As you can see it comes with a separate hood.  Also , the expanded metal grill really gives it stock car appeal.....this body is another quality piece from Big Donkey Resin.

While I was at it, I picked up a Ranchero kit off of Fee-Bay for a reasonable price.  This now trans kit will yield its front and rear bumpers,chassis pan and maybe the interior (floor, dash)...the engine is a Chevy , so it will either get sold or become trade fodder as well as the Ranchero body and its related parts and pieces. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 09:58:20 PM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Fordguy01

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 04:37:09 PM »
For my 2 cents worth I have had very good luck with Replicas and Miniatures Company of Maryland.  Norm has lots of vintage stuff for flathead motors, wheels, tires and some super bodies mostly for street rods.  His castings are smooth and free of blemish, almost like plastic. No e-mail address for Norm but he has a 48 page catalog and he advertises in SAE.  I've used Fireball Motor works parts and his parts quality is great and cost is good.

Fordguy01 AKA Al

Fordguy01

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 04:44:17 PM »
I also have used Ron Coon resin with great results.  I have some of his master cylinders, wheels and tires an some other assorted items.

Fordguy01

bandit2026

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 03:43:36 PM »
I want to add another for Ron Coon resins. Late one evening I decided to order some wheels and picked Ron Coon resins. Sent E-mail as directed on web page and got immediate reply. Sent pay info and got invoice.  !7 minutes you can't find a parking spot and get in and out of a hobby shop that quick. 
good looking stuff too. ;)

Brian Conn

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 09:39:53 PM »
  Latest resin body purchase is from Southern Motorsport Hobbies ....

This is the Lincoln IMSA which represents the 1984 thru 1992 Lincoln Continental Mark VII.  Besides the separate hood, this kit also includes a floor pan which appears to be a slightly modified version of the floor pan from the Revell Mustang IMSA kit from the '80's.  The four Red pieces are the 2 brake light lenses and the 2 thin Red reflectors? lenses? that are beside the brake light lenses and below the trunk lid.
  The quality of this piece is top notch.  This is another one where I know what I want to build ...a stock body appearing dirt late model of that era...but am going to hold off on that for now.     

Brian Conn

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 07:02:06 PM »
Here is the deal with resin casters. If you find one that has the products and the quality and the service that you like, then go to the bank if you have to and take out a loan and buy ALL of the things you think you might want. Why? Because the chances of that resin caster staying in business throughout your model building interest arc is extremely rare.
   With the last couple of months, I guess I took it to heart with what you said.  I have no reason to believe, however, that either Big Donkey Resins or Southern Motorsport Hobbies is going anywhere any time soon.
  There are still a couple of resin bodies out there that are no longer available that I would like to get my hands on.
  I too agree that it was a smart choice on Scotts part (Futureattraction) to turn the casting duties over to Larry at Big Donkey.....not saying that Scott was ever doing anything wrong or his items for sale where sub par.

RCR

• Ron Coon Resins
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 10:02:51 PM »
Thanks for those who have mentioned me. Give Ron Coon Resins a shot, you won't be disappointed. Ron Coon Resins www.roncoon.com

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 10:21:41 PM »
Agree with RCR. Love his quick change rear with metal axle. It's an easy deal to add to AMT nascar chassis. Fast service too.

Tb

Brian Conn

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 10:14:23 PM »
  I recently purchased a big block Ford engine (429-460) from Calnaga Castings....and got a free, cool sticker, too!

Ford 429 Cobra Jet with Top Loader Transmission.   $12.00
  FROM THEIR WEBSITE:
"The 429 Cobra Jet is hard to find in 1:25 scale kits, and the best is from the Revell 1969 Torino Cobra. We took that engine and added plenty of features for realism and buildability. The 429 is in the 385 series engine family which includes the 460 so there are plenty of truck and passenger car applications for this one. Features: Block, heads, and transmission are molded in one piece with mold lines and seams removed. Single 4 barrel intake manifold, engine mount detail, oil pan drain plug, spark plug pilot holes."
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:26:31 PM by Brian Conn »