Author Topic: Test Racing Series?  (Read 5207 times)

David Bogard

Test Racing Series?
« on: August 22, 2019, 04:59:40 PM »
As a test, I am noodling around on trying to do a short racing series. It would be for fun and mostly to get folks off their couch on to their bench. We would decide on a particular type and era of car and everyone would build one. We then would have a bunch of potential fun with it because you would need to make up a driver and sponsor narrative and so forth. We would simply pull numbers or some other random thing to determine the outcome of each race and a totally ridiculous and fictitious race report would be supplied.

Now, I need to find out what type of race car and what era would be the most likely one built by you AND I need to have some idea of those that would actually participate. If it doesn’t go, it doesn’t go. Simple. But if it would go, I might be willing to try it. There would be a lot of work on this end if it happens and I ONLY have time for it if a bunch of you do. If not, then tell me now! I am just as busy as any of you are!
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

john2

Re: Test Racing Series?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 05:27:53 PM »
I wish you well with the idea, but I have close to 50 models to rebuild right now.

Hurricane Annie, you know.

lol

Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Lefturns75

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 06:21:26 PM »
I have been involved with that sort of thing in the past and loved it!  I would be in 110% for this.  C'mon guys, get off your face and DO THIS, you just might enjoy yourself.  So lets hear from you, grow a pair and get involved.  It wont take that much time away from your retirement time.   We need entries, not excuses.  I AM IN, how about the rest of you builders?

Bob P.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 06:50:33 PM »
Sounds like a great idea David. I would be involved.

I often thought about building something from the late fifties or early sixties and using some hometown local sponsors and also pick the colors of the car. It could be a late model also. I would prefer older cars with factory bodies .

If you can get enough interest we can discuss the car type later.

Bob

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 09:19:58 PM »

Now, I need to find out what type of race car and what era would be the most likely one built by you AND I need to have some idea of those that would actually participate........

Dirt.......1975 thru 1985 ...Street Stock,Hobby Stock/Sportsman, I.M.C.A type Modified, Late Model.      Are cars that are already completely built eligible to participate or will they need to be new/partial builds?   

...........  I AM IN, how about the rest of you builders?

Looking forward to the possibility of racing against you again 8)

.............I often thought about building something from the late fifties or early sixties and using some hometown local sponsors and also pick the colors of the car. It could be a late model also. I would prefer older cars with factory bodies .......

I've got a '59 Galaxie dirt car that is exactly as you described....ready to race!

I wish you well with the idea, but I have close to 50 models to rebuild right now.

Hurricane Annie, you know.

lol

Don't forget the builds of yours that you sent me a few years ago....they are being safely kept in my hobby room....if you want to participate ,you have quite a bit to choose from...and they all still look GREAT! :)  I can shoot the pictures and post them if you will do the rest.....think about it

The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Dirtman

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 10:09:40 PM »
David, I would love to get into this. But, I've been in a building slump ever since I moved. My work area is not comfortable like it used to be. Also I'm committed to some other stuff in my personal life that just doesn't leave time. I'm sorry to let you down like this....

Rett

john2

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 06:31:22 AM »
Maybe Brian.  Did I send you a blue and white Buick  # 00 ?  Let's see how this shapes up.

Bob P.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 06:31:20 PM »
How bout a late model series using full body cars, with bodies from 1955 thru 1968.

We could use the frame from the kit, or an old Nascar kit for the frame and other parts..  These would give plenty of room for some local home town sponsors.

Bob

Lefturns75

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 07:27:12 PM »
That is a pretty good idea Bob but so far there are only about three members that have expressed interest in doing this.  If more keyboard bandits would commit to being part of this decisions like that could be made.  Right now we need members willing to play, details can come later. 

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 10:19:41 PM »
Maybe Brian.  Did I send you a blue and white Buick  # 00 ?  Let's see how this shapes up.

You mean this one......

The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

bandit2026

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 06:12:55 AM »
I'm ,  watching this as I just pulled a 55 chevy out of my stash. When I was in the military in San Berdo. Calif it seemed that all they ran was a 55, 56 57 something and a 58 ford and Roy Barns 60 ford. That was good stuff back then.

john2

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 06:51:20 AM »
Yep !  That's the one.  Maybe I'll build another Buick one day.

TarheelRick

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 07:04:46 AM »
How bout a late model series using full body cars, with bodies from 1955 thru 1968.

We could use the frame from the kit, or an old Nascar kit for the frame and other parts..  These would give plenty of room for some local home town sponsors.

Bob
  I like this idea.  I have been part of many of the past racing series from other forums and it is quite enjoyable, especially the  "Sunday morning reports in the newspaper". Right now my bench time is sporadic, but I feel the need to try my hand at another short track build.   I have a '54 Ford fenderless dirt tracker in the works, but it is sharing time with a full-custom I am trying to get finished for a rapidly upcoming show.  Count me in, I am sure I can find something in my "minimal 200+ stash to build into a competitor.
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Lefturns75

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 09:05:28 AM »
Good to hear you are up for this Tar, you were a good competitor in the past.  I'm sure 'Ol Carl or Curt wouldnt mind putting a tire mark on your quarter panel again.  I hope this comes to life, it sure was a lot of fun in the past and I sorta miss it. 

RandB11

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 10:17:06 AM »
Haven't built anything in a long time now...  Really like Bob's idea about the older 50's , 60's full body late models. Hope it all comes together. I'm in for it.
Rick :)