Author Topic: Garage sale weekend idea  (Read 5229 times)

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Garage sale weekend idea
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:55:07 PM »
So I'm reading through all the upcoming dirt specials around Eastern Iowa and a few of the tracks are having some auctions and sales combined with the race weekends. So I had this idea, maybe with the end of summer approaching, and fall/winter 'building season' coming, we could have a garage sale weekend or something of that nature here at Short Track Models.  We could start around the end of September or early October, that would give everyone a chance go through and find unwanted items to list. The garage sale would have a specified starting time....and then we'd all have a big shopping weekend digging through other's 'junk'.  I'm thinking most anything and everything model related, but especially racing stuff. Nascar, open wheel, dirt, parts, stalled project cars, botched projects,  resin pieces, partial kits, glue bombs, bodies, decals, anything and everything!

I'd like some feedback from the masses here to see if anyone is interested or maybe has a better idea?

Tom
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:01:14 PM by Tom Birky »

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Re: Garage sale weekend idea
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 10:31:53 PM »
That sure would be fun to see what is out there in everyone's stash!!!😎👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

TonyK

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 07:56:15 AM »
Not a bad idea. Only thing is dealing with shipping costs. The few times I've shipped something it amazes me how much it costs and I've tried all the usual shippers but I guess if we find something we really want it is what it is.

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 10:27:17 AM »
For me, right now, I've slimmed down my collection, some recently and some before I left NM, some of those I unloaded in NM, i wish I still had, but at the time, I didn't know I would be moving back home, plus I needed the $$ at the time....
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 01:13:49 PM »
 :)  Great idea, Tom.  I might like to unload a thing or two.  Be fun to see what shows up.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:45:51 PM by john2 »
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Bob P.

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »
Good idea Tom, let's give it a try.

Bob

Bill in MA

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 12:28:55 PM »
Sounds like fun, Tom. I'd be interested in looking at other stuff and I certainly have a few things I'd like to jettison.
Professional driver on closed course.  Do not attempt.

Charlie.D

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 04:54:31 PM »
I have a couple builds that I would like to get rid of. That I was not HAPPY with at all
Charlie Daniel

john2

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 06:25:34 AM »
 :)  Tom, I have something I would like to swap.  I will hold it for the big weekend " Trade Days. "

Charlie.D

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 03:42:25 PM »
we have pick a week end for garage sale
Charlie Daniel

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »
Or do like a Pay It Forward type thing. Post up a kit, parts, decals or whatever and who ever wants it claims it, and the poster sends to them. Then the person who claimed the last item posts up something they want to give away, someone claims it and it's sent out and on and on..... Just an idea if the sale thing doesn't pan out...
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 09:53:58 PM »
Still tinkering with that idea. Thins have been a little chaotic lately her in I-O-Way and haven't had much extra time to devote to it. Don't feel bad for me...part of it has been eating tenderloins at a variety of tracks. Give me a couple of weeks and hopefully I'll have something together.

tb

john2

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 03:52:27 AM »
 :)  Ok.

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 09:13:12 AM »
Koolness
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 09:46:46 PM »
Ok, lets make OCTOBER 14th-15th Garage Sale Weekend!  Nothing too special as far as 'rules'.  Start digging through your junk and see what we can do that weekend. You can make it a buy-sell-trade. Whatever works for you. I just ask that if you make an offer or agreement to buy that you honor your deals!

Anything goes, parts, pieces, complete kits, stalled projects, whatever. I just think it'd be fun to light up the for sale board for a couple of days! 

tb