Author Topic: We are family - Final Update Oct. 30, 2017  (Read 12599 times)

john2

We are family - Final Update Oct. 30, 2017
« on: September 21, 2017, 08:32:28 AM »
 :)  Well, I have a dilemma.   

I am getting ready to move to a retirement home.  One bedroom apartment, which means 1/3 of the space I have had for the past 25 years.

I have 88 built models in the house. So what to do with them ?  My family is not interested in them, the closest is 450 miles, and most of them do not even know they are here.  I probably could sell them to the other Fred, or Dean's Hobby Stop or someone like that.  But probably would not get much for them, risk breakage in the mail, and have to pack them all up, and pay that shipping.  I hate to just throw them in the trash.

So, would there be any interest in this ?

If you guys remember any of them pre PB fiasco, or have been able to reclaim any of the pictures that were on Fred's, or have other  ways to view them,  I was thinking I would ship any of them to you, if you would just return the shipping charge, plus maybe $1 for me to get some more boxes.

I have no way to show them, and do not want to make a list.  And even then, you'd want to actually see them.

I am trying to cut the number down to maybe 10 or 12 to take with me, which is not easy, and I am not really sure where to put them when I get there.  Also, this is not a trade, so I don't want any built models or kits coming my way.  I have 9 kits and 1 parts box collection going with me, and that will be enough to keep me busy.  Plus I am planning maybe to do a little pen and ink, or colored pencil drawing.  Probably some reading, and of course, there will  be  bingo, the big ice cream social, and exercise classes, not to mention day trips on the bus.   

So ...........  maybe this is a wild and crazy idea.  What do you all think ?  Any interest ?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:58:45 AM by john2 »
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

TarheelRick

Re: We are family, here, aren't we ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:27:11 AM »
John,

I would definitely enjoy having one of your builds on my shelf.  Count me in.  I have no real access to any pictures so I will leave the choice up to you.  I will send you my address by private message.

Ricky
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.

Charlie.D

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 12:36:45 PM »
I hate to hear this about you moving into a retirement home. if when and where I've my surgery I will get my wife to ride down there to see you okay
Charlie Daniel

john2

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 02:36:12 PM »
 :)Well, Mr. Rick, I will get right on it.  Pick of the litter coming to you.

It is not that bad, Charlie.  Only going to Raymond, southwest of Jackson.  Probably closer to the Cracker Barrel too. 

Charlie, it is not a nursing home, if that is what you are thinking.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:22:42 PM by john2 »

Olderndirt

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 05:34:29 PM »
John, my uncle Bob is a WWII vet, that moved out of some pretty classy digs into a retirement home. I really worried about him getting buyers remorse once the decision was made, but he is more resilient than I thought. When I asked him about it, he said that it's a lot like being aboard ship size wise, and makes him feel young again. He said even the food, and the coffee, had a familiar taste.
 Oh, and we are not like family. Your friends you can choose, but your family your stuck with. Hang in there. If you weren't so far away, I'd have you save me a room. TTYL.

Olderndirt

john2

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 08:12:48 PM »
 :)  That is a scream, David. 

Marty, I spent a year in remote Alaska, at a radar site, so I think I can handle a place 2 miles from a town of 1600, with a community college and a Sonic Drive In.

Actually I visited this place 2 weeks ago, and was very impressed with it.  On a beautiful 50 acre campus out in the country.  The menu for Sept that they gave me looked pretty good, and I won't have to keep the grass cut.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:44:15 AM by john2 »

Big Orange

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 05:11:39 AM »
You have a private message sir.
My worst day of building STILL beats my best day at work !!

john2

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 05:51:32 AM »
 :)  Thanks.  I will go read it.  lol

sentsat71

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 05:56:12 AM »
You have a private message.......
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 06:11:18 AM »
 :)  Got it.

john2

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 06:16:34 AM »
 :)  This is  great.  I have had  4 guys express interest.    I have started a list, and will  go straight down it.  So, please bear with me, and I will stay in touch with each of you until this is carried out.  It will take me a bit to get them packed and mailed.   I'll try to pack them as carefully as I can.

Two things to maybe keep in mind.  First, plastic model cars do get broken in shipment.  Second, we are probably better than anyone else at fixing them. 

Thank you.  Or, as the southern belles say, "  Thank Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

:) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:32:06 AM by john2 »

Big Orange

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 08:58:54 AM »
Great to hear John. Please don't worry about taking your time on my part. Regarding the "potential" for an 'on track incident'......no worries, you have some of the best 'pit crew' to get them 'on the track' again....lol
My worst day of building STILL beats my best day at work !!

sentsat71

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »
Thank YOU, John2
For such a generous offer!!

There is now hurry from this end either....take all the time you need on this....
Ed K.

john2

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 09:32:02 AM »
 :)  Thanks, guys, to you.  I appreciate your consideration of me.

sentsat71

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 09:40:22 AM »
I know what it's like to pack up build models, having done so around 20 times.
unfortunately, on several of those moves, ended up tossing built cars, unbuilt  kits
the last real purge was leaving Orlando for Albuquerque, as I was looking to get back in to model railroading
But when I checked out what it would take to get back into that I about fell over at the cost, so started buying model car kits again....
unfortunately, not completing any.....yet.....did get a few started when in the house ABQ, but that was as far as things went..... :( :'(
Ed K.