Author Topic: Why Do You Build?  (Read 5278 times)

David Bogard

Why Do You Build?
« on: October 27, 2017, 05:05:44 PM »
Seems like a simple question but I want to get flushed out what it is that actually motivates you to build something. I think it would help Tom Birky to know what direction to take his Forum.
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

john2

Re: Why Do You Build?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:26:23 PM »
 :)  Woo. 

I build models, because I cannot afford, and do not know how, to do the real thing.  That means  not only cars but airplanes as well. 

I build because I am creative, and artistic, rather than mechanical.  That includes choices and arrangement  of colors, and I love to make up small, local, mom and pop type sponsors, and then try to hand letter them, because there are no decals for them.

I build to keep my hands and my mind occupied, in  a world that has gone stark raving crazy.

I build because I can share with others, as " Opie " says, that are like my own kind.

It keeps me off the streets, and, at this stage of my life, I build to pass time.

Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Dr. Kerry

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 10:31:20 PM »
UM, Can I say...... Because it's KOOL!!!???? 8) :o

No???  :-\ OK!!!! :-[  Back when I was a kid my friend and I always got together and built. Being in a small town and not much else to do.. I started with race cars, both drag and roundy roundy cars, then got into rigs because I always wanted to drive a rig.. Now a days as you know I build just about anything!!!  But why do I really build??? That's a hard one to answer as I've been doing it so long it's ingrained in me!!!!!!! If I had to stop and walk away from it, ya may as well put me in an asylum because I'll go nuts...... well more than I already am I guess!!!!! I build for the fun, relaxation, time of getting away from life (even though that's tough to do anymore in my life)... Now I build because I'll never be able to afford a real car of my liking or choice, this way I can have it albeit in scale, but I'll have it!!!!!!
"Keep It In Scale"
       Dr. Kerry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_FIdex0e1WNmv1lpQ-ZnQ

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 03:55:10 AM »
At the moment I cannot answer.........have not completed a build since 1987.... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :(

Ed K.

James2

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 06:39:43 AM »
Hello! My name is James and I’m a plastiholic. It all started when I was young watching my dad build wood airplanes. The idea of buying a box full of parts and assembling them into a scale model of something intrigued me. The shapes, the tools and the smells! That dope he used on the paper skin was amazing.
Soon I discovered plastic model cars. Automobiles being my passion I started collecting and building all my favorite cars. Hot Rods, Customs, Racecars anything that sparked an interest I woul go for it.
Soon I was hanging out at the LHS’s dreaming of all the possibilities. I also developed the craft of kit bashing and scratch building to complete ideas that were not available.
I was meeting new people and gaining experience collecting kits, parts and equipment from all kinds of sources. I had no idea it was becoming an addiction. Before long I was selling kits and even selling built models and even stealing to support my habit.

It wasn’t until I met all of you that I realized I needed help. You guys showed me I could build scale models just for fun! And fun it has been. My skills aren’t what they were and my fingers don’t work as well as they did. And of course my eyes aren’t what they use to be. But fun it is!
Thanks guys for being there and here...
"Days are neither good nor bad, they are what you make of them."

pdaly28

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »
I build for just a couple reasons.I can no longer build 1;1,I can no longer drive(a race car),I can no longer build custom bikes,race mx or ride a bicycle.I now have a very short temper,so I build to get out of the house,and lastly I miss the days when my dad,brothers and I would go to the races.I do post a few,I destroy more than I post.I do ok though..........................just sayin

sentsat71

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »
David, I guess primarily, the strong desire to actually sit at the work table and do something with all the kits I've been accumulating since late 2005, early 2006, as I had save very very few kits from all the purges, the last big purge was moving from FL to NM, as most of the builds from the '70's that remained, were left behind, as at that time I did not see myself getting back into building model kits. Was wanting to consider getting back into model railroading....until I saw the prices at the local train hobby shop in Albuquerque. But the biggest culprit is my other main hobby.
I do buy the kits with ideas in mind, but once I get them, the interest to a point as waned.....
Though, back when I first started getting back into it, I got so far, and the interest waned, plus, like now, the computer was too close to the work table, but that's just the way I have things set up. Had one build nearly completed except for finishing the cut down body for the modified. At the moment, the body mentioned is in the hands of another party, but have told him there is no hurry in getting it finished, along with another project I have in mind, but I don't have the patience to do it the way I'd like to have it done. And I'm still not in a hurry to have these finished, as they are secondary to what he's building for himself and his other family obligations, etc.......
Just ordered another kit, but know it will not be done, let alone being started until I see an old kit brought back out, that being the old Peterbilt big rig tow truck from the '70's(?) I bought it before it disappears for however long....but had to save up a bit to get the $$ for the kit.....

Ed
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:25:03 PM by sentsat71 »
Ed K.

Charlie.D

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 03:48:14 PM »
The biggest reason I because it's cheaper than building the 1/1 version. Plus it's a way to pass time while living in hotel rooms while traveling with work. Plus a way to relax and chill out. Back in my younger days I did a lot of street racing build my own motors and cars. Now I can not afford the 1/1 versions of my cars so the best things to build the smaller version.
Charlie Daniel

Bob P.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 06:19:33 PM »
I build for several reasons. Around six years ago I needed a hobby to take up some spare time. I was working three days per week and I fully retired one year ago. I built models in my teens and again for several years in the late nineties, Nascar builds. My favorite time in racing was in the sixties in central Pa. When I got back into building, my goal was to build shelf replica’s of the cars from that time period. I build mostly bugs, or supermodifieds as they were called in our area in the sixties. I also built a few late models from the local area. I really enjoy looking at pictures, studying the history of the cars and drivers, and trying to produce a replica as good as my skill level will allow. Some I build because they were my favorite cars or drivers. Some because the car was unique. Some because the particular car was a challenge to build. I have a lot of replicas I would still like to build, maybe some more late models, but we never know how long we will stay interested and be able to build. I did build three replica’s of cars I owned in the past.
I have no interest in building anything but replica’s.

Bob

sentsat71

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 02:59:53 AM »
David,
You know what's really weird for me? When I'm not home, I picture in my mind of how to get something started, but, by the time I get home, I lost that urge....   :( >:( :o ::)
Go figure.... ::)
Ed K.

supergluek5

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 08:57:44 AM »
I build as a hobby.   Being a race fan from age 4 I built any race car kit available.  Then the computer age came along and I discovered the forums and began seeing model builds of cars I saw run when I was a kid and got into "short track scratch" building. Now its Nascar and Short track racing builds

Supergluek5
Mike
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:01:03 AM by supergluek5 »
There's only 3 sports--racing, racing, and more racing

Dirtman

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 09:44:27 AM »
I used to build and collect with my friend Rick, Arcarace (from Fred's Forum). Got away from it when I moved to Florida in '83. Got into street rods and built the real ones until I retired. Can't afford the real stuff, so the little ones take their place. Rick led me to Freds and I got hooked. I don't drink or smoke anymore so I've got to do something,,,,lol. This forum keeps my interest going. I build the cars as if I were building a real racer like I would have wanted. It's cool to share them instead of just putting them on the wall for my own appreciation. I mostly do short trackers, a couple of replicas of my own past race cars, hot rods and customs. I guess I spend a few hours a week building. Like to ride my Harley yet, so that takes up some time. Plus I read a lot. Now that I'm  talking about it, seems like sort of a dull life compared to the past....Can't complain tho, I've had a pretty interesting life....Ttttthhhhhaats all folks...
Rett

Hondo

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 10:43:56 AM »
Well, let's see.

I build because..........
It is something that I learned (pretty much by myself) at an early age, beginning at I guess 7 to 9 years old. Growing up in Charlotte, I also wanted to build models of my racing heroes cars.
It is something that I grew to enjoy, and since I learned so early in life, it's a trait that has stuck with me. Oh sure, I missed some years when I found out about real cars and girls. Ah, girls........ there's a whole different story there :) :(
Fortunately, I have a "model desk" that I work off of and sometimes projects will sit until I come back.
I'm like lots of us in that other necessary life things take away from "model time".
I still have the desire to see what I can "pull off" next. I will say that I have enjoyed the model sites and have learned to improve my skills (and made good friends) from so many of you guys.
I have a closet full of kits that I know I'll never get "around to." But, like on vacation last week, find myself searching all the Hobby Lobbys, AC Moore's, local hobby shops, etc in search of "one more" kit that I really should get.
I really do enjoy the details and engineering challenges that I evolve to in building kits. (Never build one like it's designed to be built)
I am sure that without great model sites, I'd probably be a little less focused, so THANKS to all of you GREAT builders out there for the inspiration !!
I also think, like John2 said......... it keeps me out of trouble :)
Hondo

TonyK

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 10:18:51 AM »
My main interest is racing cars of all types so I enjoy replicating those. When done and placed on a shelf or display case, I have a little piece of paper with the year or particular date the car ran.

I realize while building models it relaxes me and I feel I've accomplished something as I continue the build. Also, my wife always says I need to keep my mind stimulated and I tell her building models is an excellent way to keep the mind sharp. Following directions, problem solving, remembering where you were when coming back to a project that's been sitting there for weeks and my workbench always has 5, 6, 7 builds going at once so I have to remember what part or sub-assembly goes to what car.

Building models is something I look forward to most every day but I make sure the house duties and dogs come first.

jlhboys1969

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 02:00:19 PM »
interesting subject like most of y'all I build to as an hobby mostly I build for me and to get my gear-head fix  I can not afford to build a 1:1 (kids and college) . I have assembling models from the young age of 10 then to time off  during my drag racing days and whammy the stork brought the first bundle of joy and for sale signs went up. Tried to go to the tracks with a family budgets allowed was not good enough . fast forward to 2 kids later and Harry Potter was all the rage with my oldest son I was at the book store looking for the latest release walked past the magazine rack and spied Scale Auto Mag so I picked it up flipped through it and bam I found A new lease on getting a fix. Went to wally world bought me a kit and found out that I still build like a 10 year old . Never in my wildest dream I ever would do more than that but I was having fun and enjoying got a little stuck in a rut then floating around the inter webs  and found Fred's and a whole new world opened up even though I still may build like a ten year old it didn't matter with the class I was building the majority of them was never going to be show winners . The greatest accomplishment in my modeling building was making scale auto mag i think 2014 that was  cool.