Author Topic: Why Do You Build?  (Read 5279 times)

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Re: Why Do You Build?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 09:18:09 AM »
Hey, guys, I build because I not only enjoy the challenge but I enjoy the creative aspect of the hobby.  I think that I enjoy the artistic part of creating the model much more than finishing the model.  The painting is the part of the build I dislike.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like taking a model kit and making it my own through scratchbuilding or modifying what's in the kit to achieve that goal.  Don't know if that rings a bell or not but I'll keep on trying.  The last decade ore so has been tough on the desire to build but now that fire in the belly is getting stronger once again and I'm actually building again.  With the photobucket debacle I will have to learn how to post pictures again but I will learn.  You guys are truly an inspiration to me and that means a lot.  What is really the best part of why I build is the people I've met and the friends I've made over the years.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:48:58 AM by Greg Birky »
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Big Orange

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 11:32:21 AM »
I build because I enjoy creating. Unfortunately, our modern lives afford almost no time for me to build, (this is the first I’ve been on the forum in a few weeks). I started out watching my dad and older brother build, and it went from there.

I’ve been a roundly-round fan since I was 5, so most of my subject matter is such. I remember freaking out over the MPC and Tobias mods when they first hit the shelves, then the late model, ASA and sprint cars. As my talents grew, I realized how outdated most of the kits were/are, so my passion became scratchbuilding and trying to create a realistic looking curbside model...I usually only get into details you can see, not necessarily full detail, although buying a small lathe and creating my own parts are on the radar.

Bottom line, similar to John2, I’m artistic....and I like to create, that’s why I build. I make most of my own decals and enjoy applying the techniques and ideas gained from the other builders on this, and other, sites...their talents are fantastic. I also like to feel like someone may gain some knowledge and ideas from me also. I’m not a “hey, look at me” personality, but if someone responds to a build with, “that’s a neat idea, I never thought of that”, I have a smile on my face.

We need a CBP to get the juices flowing :) Something simple, like an out of the box only, no mixing kit parts, wheels tires, decals....whatever is in the box, is what you have to work with.
My worst day of building STILL beats my best day at work !!

john2

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »
   :)  Yes, Thom, we are kindred in several ways.

Although my building time is uncertain for awhile, I could commit to a box stock CBP.  I have a Tobias '40 Ford I could build pretty easily.  Sounds good to me.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Big Orange

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »
Darn John, you must have X-Ray vision, and mental telepathy......LOL. I have the '36 Plymouth coupe Tobias car that I look at every time I walk past my room designated for modeling.
My worst day of building STILL beats my best day at work !!

john2

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 05:21:08 PM »
 :)  LOL   Anyone else interested ?

john2

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 09:05:57 PM »
 :)  Mr. Tom has asked about one, under the proper topic.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 08:29:28 AM »
I would be interested, John.
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky