Author Topic: Build Idea  (Read 7642 times)

sentsat71

Re: Build Idea
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 07:23:33 AM »
Another way to put it....besides being a kit collector.....
How about "Armchair modeler"?
to copy and old model railroading "quote".... "armchair model raliroader"
or something to that effect..... ;)

Ed K.

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 11:31:17 AM »
......................................Maybe just build an engine or some other aspect that you always liked, just to get the juices going?
  I did just that...
  http://www.shorttrackmodels.com/index.php?topic=930.0
      and yes, it did help getting things right again.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

jchrisf

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 12:45:53 PM »
I gotta sympathize with David here.  We have a lot of posters but not many builders.   

I appreciate this statement.  I'm a newbie to the hobby.  Just started 4 months ago and some comments on another forum made me think I shouldn't be building a couple of models a month like I started doing but I should take my time and make it perfect.  That is when I stopped having fun.  I don't have the experience or knowledge yet to do a perfect model.  I'm sure the more models I complete, the more experience and knowledge I will get so I am going to start building them faster again until I think I can handle more detailed work and just have fun and enjoy the hobby.

I noticed that the guys (on this other forum) who say someone should not finish a model and post it until it is perfect, never finish anything themselves.  I enjoy building and completing a kit quickly and box stock right now.

Thanks Leftturns75, I am going to start enjoying the hobby again. 8)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:21:00 PM by jchrisf »

Lefturns75

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 02:05:30 PM »
You got the idea jchrisf, build at YOUR comfort level and enjoy it.  The more you do, the more you will be able to do and do it well.  Don't worry about that Perfect B.S., none of them are perfect.  I do this for fun and don't worry about the perfect thing at all.  Lots of guys that have done this for years forget that we all started with no experience.  It comes with time and practice so build away and there are guys here that will help you any way they can.   Even after 50 years of this I still churn out a Gloo-bomb every now and then, it just happens.  Save the parts and start over, you learn something with every build. 

john2

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 07:38:47 PM »
 :)  It's a hobby.  There are no rules.  Do like you want to do.  After all, it's your model.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

bandit2026

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 06:07:24 PM »
Well while sitting hear watching it rain, it hit me, how about that 37 coupe the Wood bros built? Its within my skill level, I have a kit, I have a pretty good FE engine, now all I need is some decals and a suggestion of a rattle can color to match. 

Lefturns75

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 03:13:32 PM »
I agree, just build it.  Dont worry about "Skill Level" or is the color right or is this or that right.  Just build it.  The idea here is to build models and ENJOY IT, not please the other guy.  When you try to do that, it becomes a job and not a hobby.  Unless I have missed the whole concept, this forum is for modelers to get together, discuss building, ideas, ask questions, learn new things and see what others have done.  It is NOT a contest and you are not judged on how you build or what you build.  Just build something, post up some photos and get in the conversation.  Who cares if Joe Modelers engines are wired in the correct firing order?  Who cares if Jack Wagons' suspension really works?  Do what you do and HAVE FUN!  It is only a hobby for our enjoyment and nothing more.  Let your hair down, swig some coffee and smear some gloo.  If you can get a kit out of the box, you got skills so get to it and have a blast doing so.  Dont be afraid that your questions are stupid one's, the only stupid questions are the ones you dont ask.  If you dont feel comfortable asking on open forum, P.M. one of the guys here, I am sure he would tell you what you wanted to know.