Author Topic: Old Lindberg Super Modifieds- Let's See 'Em!  (Read 10548 times)

David Bogard

Old Lindberg Super Modifieds- Let's See 'Em!
« on: January 31, 2018, 06:06:47 PM »
Lefturns had a post with his hauler down in the hauler section and it was brought up just how terrible those old Lindberg Super Modified kits were. And YES, they are pretty bad!! If you've ever built one, let's see it! They are "Sow's Ears" but maybe someone has figured out a way to make one into a "Silk Purse". I never did!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:50:43 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

john2

Re: Old Lindberg Super Modifieds- Let's See 'Em!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 07:08:23 PM »
 :)  I built one, David, but have no way to show it right now.  Maybe later.

Mine is like your 57 car.  I like it pretty well for what it is.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:54:57 AM by john2 »
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Hondo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:21:23 PM »
Only one I ever built, could be the last...........

:-\

sentsat71

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:09:04 AM »
Guess I'm going to have to hunker down and work on moving photos to Flickr(?) so I can post mine...... ::)

Oh wait!!  I've posted these back a while....

Just bumped my post up, to make it easy to find....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:15:28 AM by sentsat71 »
Ed K.

Lefturns75

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 10:47:26 AM »
This is the only other one I have kinda built.  I had to dust all the cobwebs off of it since it has been in the box so long.  I added some bracing to the flimsy frame and a roll cage from evergreen rod with a much better engine.  I am not sure but I think I was trying to figure out how to use the nose and hood from the White Lightning or maybe an Edmunds nose and hood from a Monogram kit.  Anyway, this is as far as I got before it all went back in the box.  I guess I should try and finish this one if I could get interested in it again.  The Kustom Koffin kit seems a little short to me, I always thought it should be a little longer. 

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 07:23:07 AM »
Like where you're going with this one..... Lefturns75
Never thought of tracking down a fuel injected intake. also like the way you did the roll cage and roof....

Have one of the newer double kits and the White Lightning body was short shot, plastic did not fill out the mold on one of front sides....thought of taking the tail of that body and replacing the tail area on the Kustom Koffin body....
Also agree with you on how short it is.....then on the other hand, the White Lightning kit seems too long in comparison to the Edmunds kit.

Did build a 3rd Kustom Koffin kit back in the 70's wanting to put in a different engine, but that project stalled. not sure where the engine I wanted to use went.....though running around in a parts box somewhere...
Ed K.

Lefturns75

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »
I know it sounds nutty but the Kustom Koffin and the Monogram Edmunds have the same wheelbase.  They both scale out after doing the math at 90 inches and both kits side by side are equal.  The White Lightning scales out at 108 inches.  The real Edmunds Super was 85 inches according to an article in Hot Rod Mag in 1967.  I can remember years ago the Supers here had to land between 100 and 110 inches.  Then the rules changed later to 100 or less but I can't remember the numbers.  I guess those kits are correct depending on what part of the country you are in.  During the 1960's Supers here and west of me looked a lot like the White Lightning.  Middle of the state and east they looked like the Edmunds.   Not sure what I will do with this one.  Might make it a bit longer and might leave it like it is.  Then again, it might stay in the box until I am gone in which case my daughter will toss it in a dumpster.   

JimW

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 10:56:09 PM »

RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

JimW

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 11:04:23 PM »
bought this as a glue bomb junker way back in 1997 or so ,it was missing one of the front tires and wheel so I added a part box tire and wheel and built it box stock even with the 30/35 year old decals and they worked just fine!!

RACING is an ADDICTION ::: the only CURE is POVERTY

sentsat71

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »
Cool builds, Jim....

Been a while since I've seen these.........
Ed K.

sentsat71

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 09:02:50 AM »
David....

Thanks for bringing my pics into this post!!
Ed K.