Author Topic: Early Jalopy Sedan  (Read 10195 times)

Lefturns75

Early Jalopy Sedan
« on: January 27, 2018, 09:50:13 AM »
I built this one right after I did the 34 Coupe.  I need to take some better photos, these are all I have.  This one carries the 292 GMC inline 6 with more barn built headers, CAE in and out box, and my attempt at a ford 2N steering box that is buried and you can't see anyway.  It is plumbed for three wheel brakes and steers off the right front.  Fuel tank is a Jerry Can.  I saw lots of these back in the day. 

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:01:31 PM by Lefturns75 »

Olderndirt

Re: Early Jalopy Sedan
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 12:28:26 PM »
I love the tasteful weathering, and select tire wear. Most of these cars out here on the left coast used double wheel centers, with reversed Buick rims, that were about 9” wide. A few used wide fives, but the stock Ford centers were hard to get, and cutter plate centers were’nt allowed. Very nice.

Olderndirt

Lefturns75

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 12:50:44 PM »
During this time period around here, guys used "Gimmie" tires or cheap used stuff.  If they weren't bald slick when they went on, they were after a feature.  If a guy had some dollars to spend, he got some Dual 90's---made by General I think------been too many years ago.  By the mid 60's Lyle Marsh had started capping tires for racing and many used Marsh Racing Tires.  They looked the same but you could get em in different compounds.  He also made and sold a wide diamond tread tire called the "Moneymaker"  It looked really cool but was about three times harder than the rim.  They would last three or four seasons if you didn't get one cut down.  Most of the guys used what would hold air.  I kinda miss those days. 

slim

• Lives in St. Louis, MO
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 01:03:26 PM »
Nice build, very authentic. I love the story that goes with it!

Bill in MA

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »
Very cool!  This one's got personality oozing out everywhere!  8) 8)
Professional driver on closed course.  Do not attempt.

Michael F

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 01:15:27 PM »
This is so cool !!
I have a sedan in my stash and i think it would be a jalopy one day ...
Greetings from Germany!

Bob P.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 02:23:45 PM »
Very nice old jalopy, well done and a good story.

Bob

Hondo

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 04:34:01 PM »
Keep 'em coming Lefty !!
Love it !!   :)

sentsat71

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 06:33:38 AM »
WOW!!  another cooooool build!!
Ed K.

Olderndirt

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 10:53:32 AM »
Out west Armstrong Rinoflex was the most common street tire on these jalopyfides. The compound Armstrong used was hard as a rock, and wore like iron. They also were the company that locally sold the most tires that would fit a wide rim, without running on the sidewalls.
 I also miss this kind of racing. It took a lot more barnyard engineering, and a lot less money. And, you never knew what you would see at the track.
 A popular steering box for these cars out west was a rear ended out of a Crosley, which could  steer either front wheel.

Olderndirt

Lefturns75

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 11:52:43 AM »
A Crosley rear for steering…………..I never saw that here but I guess it would work a lot like the tractor steering box.  These guys were also taking the rear suspension from some type of small car with torsion bars and using them.  I for the life of me can't remember what it was and most of the guys that did that are gone.  Got any ideas as to what that was??   I thought it was from an Austin or maybe a Morris but I have never found anything like that under one of those.  Another tire used here was Atlas.  Some guys liked the Bucron Atlas tires and they said they worked pretty good on the clay here.  Just didn't last long. 

Gary Davis

• "LIVE"....from Tacoma Washington.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 02:35:36 PM »
Now that is a Dirt car for sure...Great Job on this build LT75. You sure captured the look and feel of the era.
"Man...I love the smell of Methonal and Dirt in the morning. Then....Methonal and Asphalt in the afternoon is GOLDEN also."

Olderndirt

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »
I have seen the rear end out of a golf cart used for a steering box.
 How about a Studebaker three speed w/ overdrive coupled to a 352 Packard w/ six dueces, that ran our short paved  track (1/4 mile)oval in high gear, and the 1/2 mile in San Jose in overdrive. Who needs a quick change rearend. These guys were always thinking.

Olderndirt

Dirtman

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 02:48:02 PM »
Just "too cool" of a build. And I believe all of us old timers miss those old days. Bucrons were pretty big in southeast Wisconsin back in the 60's and 70's, when you could find them!!!

Rett