Author Topic: (FINAL UPDATED 9/23/18) Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #6918  (Read 9028 times)

Bob P.

I’m going to attempt a replica build of the 69K sprint car and hauler.
The 69K is referred to as the dream team in central Pa. The team is made up of three National sprint car hall of fame members, Car owner Don Kreitz, crew chief Davey Brown, who is 84 Years young and driver Lance Dewease. Davey also builds the engines for the team.. Davey has been turning wrenches on race cars for over sixty years.This is the third year for Lance Dewease as the driver.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

That's Davey at the right front of the car making some adjustments.
Hosted on Fotki

The Hauler.
Hosted on Fotki

I’ll be using an SWS chassis for this build. I had the privilege of meeting Justin several months ago. I was able to view some of his modern sprint car chassis and body panels he manufactures and sells. The quality of his products are excellent.
You can view his products here. https://www.swschassis.com/

Some of you, who have built sprint cars using the Revell / Monogram kits or SWS products may have a different and better way of building these than I do. I will try to keep you up to date on this build, with a how I did it, not a how to.

SWS chassis on the left, kit chassis on the right.
Hosted on Fotki

SWS chassis.

Hosted on Fotki

Hood, nose and roll cage side panel from SWS, lower side body panel by me.
Hosted on Fotki

Hood, nose,roll cage and upper side panel by SWS, lower side panel and engine area by me.
Hosted on Fotki

I hope you enjoy following along on this build. Any advise or suggestions will be welcomed.

Bob
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:32:12 AM by Bob P. »

john2

Re: Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #69K
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 05:11:47 AM »
 :)  I am sure you will do an excellent job, Bob.  I am not much into sprints, but I think the hauler is fantastic. 
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Dirtman

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 07:30:09 AM »
That's quite  an undertaking. I know we all know you are the one capable of getting it done. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!!

Rett

TonyK

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 07:53:31 AM »
Wow. You got me all excited about the SWS chassis site as I've never heard of it. I could spend some $$$ there but all the options have got me confused. Don't really know what I need to check.

Bob P.

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 08:38:03 AM »
Tony,

If you go to the SWS web site, click on contact. His email address is up on the right top of the page.
I think the best approach is to email Justin a picture of the car you want to build.
Then he can pick the best match for the chassis and body panels you will need. He had to make a new mold, for the right side panel, for the 69K build. He usually responds to emails promptly.

Bob

Bob P.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 09:16:57 AM »
I finished a few more steps last evening.

I soaked all the suspension parts in what used to be Wesley's white wall cleaner to remove the chrome finish.
I soak them overnight and then brush the chrome off with a soft tooth brush.

Hosted on Fotki

I purchased this product at dollar general. It seems to work a little slower than the old Wesley's product.

Hosted on Fotki

Bob P.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 09:21:34 AM »
I installed locating pins for the front and rear torsion bars, radius rods and top shock mounts this morning.
I stripped the plastic off of the small diameter plastic coated wire and used the wire for the pins. The wire is .7MM diameter.

Hosted on Fotki

GWSTEXAS

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 10:26:39 AM »
This is going to be a really special project. Many thanks to Justin for making modern sprint car models possible. Using his parts does require a good bit of additional stuff, some of which is in the old Monogram kit and some of which is available from after-market suppliers. But when it's all put together with a little scratch building, some incredible results are possible. I'm excited to watch this one develop!
Best,
Gary

Bob P.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 05:45:32 PM »
I'll give you a little information on the graphic and developing the decals for this project.

I'm working with Greg Holland on the project VSRN on this forum.

I went to Williams grove speedway several weeks ago. I purchased a pit pass and went to the pits and took close up pictures of all the graphics on the car. I took about 22 photo's total. The crew was very understanding in allowing me to interfere a little with there work being done. I was there early, shortly after they arrived at the track.

I sent all the pictures to Greg for him to use in designing the decals. The decals will include all the graphics and all the contingency decals on the car.

Below is just an example of the close up pictures I provided to Greg.

Hosted on Fotki

Below is a sample of some of the decals Greg has designed for this project.

I know Greg has put a lot of time and effort into this project. I hope I can complete the build
at a quality level that will showcase the outstanding decals he will be providing.

I mailed all of the body panels and the two wings to Greg, for him to use, for sizing the decals.
Hosted on Fotki

Bob

MarkJ

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 07:59:07 AM »
Wow, Bob. That is one beautiful sprint car. I cant way to see this one finished. Its going to be awesome.

vsrn

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 11:29:48 AM »
The pictures Bob took were ideal for making a set of decals this complex.
Not only were there pictures of everything that was needed, most of them were as "head-on" as possible, and well lighted. In addition, the pictures from his phone were very big files, which let me enlarge them to get all of the fine detail.

We really lucked out when Bob spotted a spare Top wing, next to the hauler. Normally, it's impossible to get a good clear picture of the top of the wing, when it's mounted on the car.

We've already done some work on matching the paint colors.

Now that I have the wings and body panels, the fun is just beginning.
Most of the drawing is done. Now I "just" need to do final scaling to fit, and to split the decals for the different body panels.

Like Bob said, it's been a lot of work so far, and there's a lot more to do, but I'm sure that we can pull this off.

But I may need a nap after it's all over !

vsrn

Bob P.

(UPDATED 9/1/18) Re: Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #69K
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 04:16:10 PM »
I posted a little update below.

Tires and wheels painted and ready. Tire decals by Greg Holland.
Hosted on Fotki

Engine installed. These old air cleaners are obsolite but will not be seen.
Fuel injection lines installed, small oil tank built and installed, no plug wires used on this build, very hard to see after body panels  and headers are installed.
Hosted on Fotki

The chassis is positioned on a small fixture, I built, to hold the chassis in place, for installing the front and rear suspension.
This step has been a challenge for me in the past, I hope this helps the process.
Hosted on Fotki

Bob P.

Re: (UPDATED 9/1/18) Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #69K
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 05:56:34 PM »
Small update on this project.

I got the body panels and wings back from Greg Holland yesterday. I mailed them to Greg to use for sizing the decals.
Decals should arrive in the mail Monday.

Picture below of the painted panels. Light blue outside and flat black on the inside.

Hosted on Fotki

Krylon paint used for the light blue.
This paint sprayed very nice and the finish is good.

Hosted on Fotki

Top and front wing panels shown. I used a combination of kit wing panels, and the right side panel is from SWS, that I cut the angle on the lower front. I also flattened the top center wing section and scaled it to 60 X 60, the current rules. The front wing middle section is from SWS with scratch made sides.

Hosted on Fotki

Bob
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:02:44 PM by Bob P. »

Bob P.

Re: (UPDATED 9/8/18) Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #69K
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 06:12:57 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. If anyone has suggestions or comments to improve this project please feel free to add them.

Bob

Bob P.

Re: (UPDATED 9/11/18) Sprint car build, central Pa dream team #69K
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 11:06:48 AM »
Well, I received the decals from Greg on Friday.

As mentioned previously, I mailed all the panels to Greg for him to size the decals, to fit the panels.
The fit is almost perfect.

Here's an update on installing the decals.
The white layer needs to be applied first.

Hosted on Fotki

After the white has dried then apply the color layer.

Hosted on Fotki

Sorry for the dark picture quality.
Hosted on Fotki

I've also been working on the photo etched seat belts.
I might be getting too old for this close work with these small pieces.

Hosted on Fotki

Here's my seat I purchased from SWS.

Hosted on Fotki

Thanks for looking, I'm really enjoying this build so far.

Bob