Author Topic: 2-6-2019-Ralph Nason Dart  (Read 3463 times)

David Bogard

2-6-2019-Ralph Nason Dart
« on: December 31, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
Here's the car I am going to try to build.

I am using one of those AMT Petty Dart kits and I must say that they are either the worst kit around or maybe just mine was bad. The flash is terrible and the amount of sanding and trimming is ridiculous. After parts were cleaned up, I began by assembling some of the basic underpinnings in order to see where I might need to go with this.

I trimmed a little off the bottom of the firewall to get the nose down and as with all of these Dart kits, the front wheel are a mess. They are always out of line with the fender opening and sit way too far to the rear of that opening. Worse yet, the kit supplied rims and tires push them out so far that the whole hting just looks cartoonish! We'll fix all of that.

First we'll cut off the top Arms and cut a couple of pieces of .040 x .250 styrene to repalce them with. We then roughly form a little more styrene to add to the bottom Arm. Finally, we'll rough it all on place using super glue.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:19:14 PM by David Bogard »
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
Re: Ralph Nason Dart
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 12:33:59 PM »
  For what ever reason I've always been a fan of the Chrysler Kit Cars....the 1:1 scale.  I managed to see a few on the local dirt tracks before they disappeared and was impressed by the fact that they where basically Street Stocks (except for the quick change) competing and winning in the Late Model ranks.
  I appreciate the extra effort to detail that you do :)...like the correct wheelbase and track width with this particular build.
  Getting back to the 1:1 scale version, I can only imagine what the short track racing world would have been like if Ford, G.M and A.M.C would have jumped on board with their versions of a kit car.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Hondo

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 10:39:45 AM »
David, I couldn't agree more with your thinking on this kit.
I have an original Jim Cushman Duster as well as a few new pops of it, plus several of the Petty kit car Darts.
I have tried to convince myself these are better than I think. Yes, great subjects and at least there's a starting point with the kits.
They just don't look totally correct.

I will definitely be looking at your progress on this one. Getting one to sit correctly is probably my 1st goal every time.

As info for any Chrysler Corp "Kit Car" builders.........
Good stuff here:

https://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/threads/the-chrysler-kit-car.24172/

(That 1st pic of the red #71......... The driver was Chuck Piazza, not "Larry")

Thanks for all your info and pics on your work, David. Fabulous as always !!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 12:29:14 PM by Hondo »

Marty W

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 03:03:29 AM »
Good choice for a replica. I like the colors, the stance, the graphics. Classic. I know you will do justice to this one.

Dirtydog

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:57:21 AM »
I will be following this build!

BobD

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 10:47:03 AM »
Looks like a lot of work on this, but a great tutorial on your progress thus far.  A model can have all the details, after-market goodies, great paint, decals, etc. BUT... if it doesn't sit right it ruins everything.  You have this part mastered and the final product will be great!  Not too many Mopars raced in our area, so can't wait to see this completed!

Bob P.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 10:50:17 AM »
I'm keeping an eye on this one David. I really like the looks of the original car and if anyone can capture that look, its you.

Bob