Short Track Forums > Early GN-USAC-IMCA-ARCA

Tiny Lund´s 1959 Chevy Impala #88

(1/3) > >>

Michael F:
Something new from my workbench:

Tiny Lund´s ´59 Impala. Reference pics of this car are hard to find, so i don´t really know,
if he drove an Impala or a Biscane.

Thanks to Dave Van for the cool decals! They are still in great condition after all those years
of storage. The six-lugs are from PPP.

Hope, you like it!

Thanks for watching.

David Bogard:
More of your tasty work from Deutschland Michael! Crisp and clean, a gorgeous tribute build.

Maineboy:

Michael,    A truly nice piece of work. The decals are stunning and the entire model is the same. You captured the look of it real good. I loved the 58 Impala, thought it was a gorgeous car. Didn't know what to make of the 59. I always wondered if those wild fins gave any handling problems at high speed.  Tiny lund was one of the "boys from Harlan, IA" who tore up Iowa and other early midwest dirt race tracks starting in the late 1940's. He and Johnny Beauchamp drove cars prepped by Dale Swanson, also of Harlan. They often shared a car and took turns at it when Tiny got a week end pass from his Air force post. All three of them ventured into NASCAR and had some good successes. I just looked around and could not find any pics of that car either. I used to follow Junior Johnson real close and he would drive a number of different cars in a season. Suspect Tiny was the same.

Tiny  was one of my top few favorite NASCAR drivers in the 60's and early 70's. I liked Tiny for the same reason as the others. Tiny was not afraid of anything and would push a car and get everything out of it that he could. Both Tiny and Beauchamp sort of traveled around driving a car here and another car there. There was tons of NASCAR racing all over the south back then, on shorter tracks particularly.  Tiny Lund won the 1963 Daytona 500 in a Woods Bros car. He had several other wins in later years. Sadly he died in a fatal accident at Talladega in 1975. As always pushing as hard as he could. If Tiny had a good car he would be always near the front of the pack at the end.

A man who always gave racing everything he had to give.

tinylund by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

RIP my friend!

MB

john2:
 :)  Very nice.  I got to see Tiny race.

Dirtman:
Super model of one heck of racer!
Rett

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version