Short Track Forums > Early GN-USAC-IMCA-ARCA

Darel Dieringer 1966 Mercury Comet Cyclone "Southern 500" winner

(1/3) > >>

MarkJ:
This model depicts the car that won the 1966 Southern 500. I've been trying to build as many Southern 500 winners I can from the 50's and 60's. This car had a 390 bored to 405 cubic inches. It also sported 2 4-barrel carbs. AMT kit. P.P.P. tires and wheels. homemade laser decals using the ghost white toner cartridge.

Maineboy:
Mark,

A truly excellent piece of work. I just adore those Fairlanes and Comets of that era. Like circle track and drag racing of that era both equally well. I am a Chevy guy and don't try to hide it but have had a long love affair with the Ford  big blocks. I have been around quite a few 390's. My college room mate bought a 66 Mustang with a 390 in it. Would that fly on the road.

Thanks for building a truly spectacular rendition of one of the great ones of that time.

MB

Dirtman:
Excellent replica, well done!

Rett

MarkJ:
Click on this link to see how the build came together. I had to use an AMT 1967 comet kit.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/169114-1966-mercury-comet/

TarheelRick:
Wow, another piece of art from your workbench.  You are a master of the days of real stock-car racing in NASCAR.  Always enjoy watching your builds come together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version