Author Topic: Anyone working on anything?  (Read 2170 times)

Volzfan59

Anyone working on anything?
« on: January 18, 2024, 02:54:34 PM »
Speedracer and I are doing a buddy build using the reissued AMT ''64 Ford Galaxie Modified Stocker. The cold weather got me. I sprayed part of the body gloss yellow. When it dried, quite a bit of it was more of a flat yellow. I've got it sanded and ready for paint, just need the weather to warm (never thought that I'd say that living in southern Arkansas, 9 miles from the Louisiana border) and the humidity to go down. Anybody else got anything going?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 02:57:27 PM by Volzfan59 »
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

Speedracer

Re: Anyone working on anything?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 04:24:43 PM »
I'll chime in: if y'all have not done a buddy build, or one lately, give it a try. Volzfan59 and I are having a blast texting back and forth, with pictures even. This modern technology stuff is purty neat. It's like being a part of a model club, which neither of us have anywhere near us. Give it a try!

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 05:40:03 PM »
......This is what has been occupying my build time as of late....... 
https://www.modeltruckbuilder.com/index.php?/forums/topic/727-amt-ford-c-900garwood-lp-900-refuse-truck/
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Volzfan59

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 06:26:02 PM »
Brian, That is one impressive build you've got going.
"Many men fish all of their lives without knowing it is not the fish that they are after." Henry David Thoreau

"I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" from the book The Compleat Angler. Izaak Walton 1653

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 09:12:03 PM »
  Thanks! 
   It's a change of pace....something different, for me at least.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Danh4

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 06:04:10 AM »
I just started on a Tony Nancy dragster but that doesn't really fit here.  I did just finish a Monogram sprint car in Doug Wolfgang #40 colors.  Before that I built a Buzzie Reutimann coupe, Wes's Old Blue modified and a Bill Wimble coupe before that.  I have the race car modeling bug bad, I should be working on all the 1/72 planes I have in the stash!

TonyK

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 07:10:00 AM »
Great looking race cars!

I've been trying to finish up many models that just needed decals. Freezing weather outside keeps me out of the garage/workbench so at the dining room table doing decals.

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 08:36:51 AM »
I committed to a group build for winged sprint cars. Need to get back into some kind of building routine and this seemed like the kick start I needed. Got my bench cleaned off and got started last weekend on the chassis. Going to build a replica of the car that won the 1979 Syracuse Supernationals race at the New York State Fairgrounds one mile track. It's a Lloyd chassis driven by PA icon Smokey Snellbaker. I was at the race and have wanted to build this car for a long time. Started with the lower frame from an old Monogram kit and scratch built the cage and front frame rails. This car ran a big block engine, so needed lower frame rails to accommodate the big engine! I jumped on here to find the build thread of Bob P's awesome rendition of the Boops Aluminum Lloyd car he built. I'll use his build for some inspiration haha.

Volzfan59

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 10:20:42 AM »
Those are all some great looking builds! Even though I grew up in the south, I considered myself to be a huge Buzzie fan. I kept up with him via the old Cavalcade of Auto Racing paper and Stock Car Racing magazine. I got a subscription every year for my birthday. Didn't he live in Florida, but raced in the northeast? Always wanted to go to some modified races up there. I did attend several modified races in the U.P. of Michigan, Escanaba. They were something to see! Going to a big time sprint car race is also on my list of things to do.

Speaking for myself, I'd love to see your Tony Nancy build. I love top level, NHRA pro drag racing. We go to the Fall Nationals at the Texas Motorplex every year.

I just started on a Tony Nancy dragster but that doesn't really fit here. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 10:22:25 AM by Volzfan59 »

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 11:03:00 AM »
I will second that compliment regarding all of those builds! Like them all, and diggin' the "Flemke front end" on the Wimble coupe.

Buzzie still lives in Florida, and last I knew is still racing. Has a "B mod" that his son David built and is still very competitive. I was fortunate to see him race here in upstate NY at a few tracks in the late 70's/early 80's and watched him every year at Syracuse for the big year-end Schaefer race.

And that Nancy dragster would fit in the "Other, Non-Short Track" category on this site- just sayin! :) 

Volzfan59

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 12:12:34 PM »
Thanks for the Buzzie update dirtmodwrench. Sounds like he's another Red Farmer.

Danh4

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 02:13:36 PM »
I committed to a group build for winged sprint cars. Need to get back into some kind of building routine and this seemed like the kick start I needed. Got my bench cleaned off and got started last weekend on the chassis. Going to build a replica of the car that won the 1979 Syracuse Supernationals race at the New York State Fairgrounds one mile track. It's a Lloyd chassis driven by PA icon Smokey Snellbaker. I was at the race and have wanted to build this car for a long time. Started with the lower frame from an old Monogram kit and scratch built the cage and front frame rails. This car ran a big block engine, so needed lower frame rails to accommodate the big engine! I jumped on here to find the build thread of Bob P's awesome rendition of the Boops Aluminum Lloyd car he built. I'll use his build for some inspiration haha.

Nice work!  Looking forward to seeing it finished.  I've got a couple of used Monogram lower chassis halves, you've inspired me to try to build the upper halves and put them to good use.

Danh4

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 02:24:06 PM »
Those are all some great looking builds! Even though I grew up in the south, I considered myself to be a huge Buzzie fan. I kept up with him via the old Cavalcade of Auto Racing paper and Stock Car Racing magazine. I got a subscription every year for my birthday. Didn't he live in Florida, but raced in the northeast? Always wanted to go to some modified races up there. I did attend several modified races in the U.P. of Michigan, Escanaba. They were something to see! Going to a big time sprint car race is also on my list of things to do.

Speaking for myself, I'd love to see your Tony Nancy build. I love top level, NHRA pro drag racing. We go to the Fall Nationals at the Texas Motorplex every year.

I just started on a Tony Nancy dragster but that doesn't really fit here.

I really wanted to build that Buzzie car because one of my earliest memories is of sitting in the stands at Utica-Rome Speedway back in the mid 60s when I was only a few years old.  I don't remember much except for that "00" car from that night, it made a big impression on me for some reason.  My wife and I went to quite a few races at Utica-Rome last year and we're looking forward to this upcoming season, especially when the High Limit sprint cars race there!

I'll definitely post some pics of the Tony Nancy dragster, it's been a lot of fun for a kit that came out the year I was born, 1963.

Bob P.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2024, 09:07:59 AM »
Dirtmodwrench you have a PM.

Bob

TarheelRick

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2024, 09:15:23 AM »
I have a 53 Ford convertible with no front fenders that I am trying to build into a late-model. Still struggling with which engine to use - a flathead to make it an earlier mid-50's, possibly a Y-block from a 56-57' Ford would keep it in the late 50's to early 60's, or maybe a BBF which would bring it into the 70's. Either way I will have to also match wheel/tire combination to fit the period. Not sure how long cars were run in late-model with no front fenders but I have seen pictures of 64' Fords with no fenders. Once I get back to my bench I will try to get some pictures up .
When I win the Powerball I will switch to the real ones.