Author Topic: Cars of my youth  (Read 1657 times)

Olderndirt

Cars of my youth
« on: September 28, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
 I attended my fifty year high school class reunion, last Saturday. Since all of my friends from that era were motor heads, we started talking about cars we wish we had kept. One of my best friends started talking about a model A coupe we worked on in our senior year. He bought it for almost nothing without an engine, or transmission, and with the abligatory pickup bed stuck in the back where the trunk, or rumble seat, once lived. This was done so you could get a bigger fuel ration during the war. The coupe got fully animalized by us and our friends. It got chopped, channeled, major frame work, and an engine and transmission from an Oldsmobile. It was just about ready for wiring, paint, upholstery, when Uncle Sam called him up. It was rigged up so it would run, just so we could move it out of his dads garage. His dad needed to move it during his tour of South East Asia, and when he discovered how wild  it was to drive, decided to sell it before he came home, to save his life. That was probably a good idea, even though we didn’t thinks so  at the time.
 So this is another model I probably will start scrounging parts for. In fact I might build a before and after version. It’s likely the old A had been an early hot rod before we got ahold of it, since it’s wire wheels had been swapped out for later steelys, and it had wide whitewall tires on them.

Olderndirt