Author Topic: Hawkeye Downs 'Wall of Fame' night  (Read 3221 times)

Tom Birky

• Administrator
Hawkeye Downs 'Wall of Fame' night
« on: July 20, 2019, 02:33:03 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, my brother Greg and I met up with Bob Dixon at Hawkeye Downs for their annual 'Wall of Fame' induction night. Notables from Hawkeye Downs history get inducted into the local hall of fame. We were invited to display our Hawkeye Downs themed models. Myself, Bob D and another local modeler had what I think was a pretty nice display. The fans seemed to like it and several of the drivers checked them out also.

Highlight of my night was meeting and chatting with Ed Sanger, Gary Crawford, Leon Plank, Ken Walton, Curt Hansen and Tom Hearst! If you're counting, 5 of those names are in the National Dirt Track Hall of Fame. Each one took plenty of time to chat and reminisce about racing. I collected autographs for my Hoosier hat which will probably not be worn much now!

Since Bob Dixon is a friend of the Hansen's, they sort of migrated over and sat with us during the races and I had great conversation with them about racing, old race cars, kids, tennis, club volleyball, etc!

Fun night for sure, I wanted to share it with a small group that may appreciate it. thanks!   tb

Me and Tom Hearst!!! He's the good looking one on the right!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:45:27 PM by Tom Birky »

BobD

Re: Hawkeye Downs 'Wall of Fame' night
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 02:57:04 PM »
It was a GREAT night Tom!  Thanks again for the invite!!

john2

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 05:49:17 PM »
From Mississippi,  glad y'all had a good time.
Look to the Lord and His strength -  Seek His face always.
Psalm 105:4

Dirtman

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 03:32:55 PM »
Those events are soooo much fun. I've gone back to Wisconsin for a Racers Reunion and had an absolute ball meeting and talking with some of my old, on track enemies!!!

Rett

Bob P.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 06:51:07 PM »
I'm glad you guys had a real fun night. It looks like some really nice models displayed there also.
Thanks for posting.

Bob

sentsat71

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 12:13:30 PM »
Great line up of builds there.....!!!!!!
Ed K.

Tom Birky

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »
Tom Hearst really liked the 50 car, he had someone that was with him takes pic. Curt Hansen commented Bob Dixons blue #9 was the best one there. Not sure how many others checked them out, as they weren't in the immediate area where they were.