Author Topic: OctoberFest 2019 Build Progress Photos  (Read 19410 times)

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
Re: OctoberFest 2019 Build Progress Photos
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2019, 09:51:12 PM »

Brian said
“Took 6 scales inches out of the fenders and hood and added a rear deck spoiler.  Shot decanted Testors Gloss Red thru a Paasche VL air brush.”

WOW, look at this bad boy!!!  Looking very sweet Brian!!!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:02:31 PM by Greg Birky »
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2019, 12:26:29 AM »
Thank you David, Lefty and Greg...... all that is left is decals and throwing together an engine and tranny.  With what I was able to do today , I feel that I am right where I need to be time wise as far as being done by next Sat.

The interior is done.  Its kind of hard to see since its Black on Black but I positioned the shoulder harnesses and lap belt as if they where thrown off and landed where they may.  Again, I had to modify the kit offerings, this time it was the dash...it just doesn't fit like it shows in the instructions, so I cut some off of each side and slid it between the diagonal bars on the cage.

Got it up on all 4 corners.  Resin cast front bumper that was part of the '74 - '76 grill that I used for this build.  Removed the filler behind the bumper and mounted it flush with the grill to move weight back.

Used the kit supplied wheels and tires...the tire width was the same as what the Modified Street Stocks where running back in the day ( mid 80's ) 8" scale inches tread width.
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2019, 12:45:48 AM »

Brian said
“Took 6 scales inches out of the fenders and hood and added a rear deck spoiler.  Shot decanted Testors Gloss Red thru a Paasche VL air brush.”

WOW, look at this bad boy!!!  Looking very sweet Brian!!!
One of your brother Toms builds served as an inspiration to "shorten it up" http://www.shorttrackmodels.com/index.php?topic=1131.0
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2019, 12:21:45 PM »
WooHoo!!!  She’s got color!!! 
Ho
I was reminded just how much I hate scribing shallow panel lines🤬!!!  As thin as this paint goes on I could have not messed with them...🤔
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 12:24:56 PM by Greg Birky »
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2019, 02:46:56 PM »
Thanks, David!!!  Still needs a clear coat and I’ve cleaned up the bumpers, painted them with Alclad’s gloss black and they’re in the dehydrator right now and will get Molotow chrome sprayed on them!  I know this is a quick build but some things look bad if they’re not fixed.  I’m loving your truck and the tailgate looks great!!!  Bye the way guys, I’m not going to comment on each post but everyone’s builds are looking fantastic!!!  It’s great to be in such great company as all you fantastic model builders!!!🤗🏁🏁🏁
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

bandit2026

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2019, 07:12:26 PM »
Hate to have to say this but looks like I wont make it by the end as I've been called out of town and away from the work bench. Got the chassis done, motor done and one color on the body.             I will finish it! Thanks for letting me in the game.

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2019, 09:14:29 PM »
Sorry to hear that news, Bandit!!!  I hope its not bad news...i look forward to seeing your finished model when your're able!!!
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2019, 09:25:16 PM »
Sorry, no photos tonight but the chrome parts are all corrected and "rechromed" with Molotow Chrome and the interior parts are all painted and drying.  The body is cleared and in the dehydrator.  Tomorrow the interior gets detailed  and possibly some assembly can happen!!!  This 57 snapper is coming along and looking better than I expected and the best part is that it is so much fun!!!  May have to try building some snap kit stock cars.....
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2019, 10:00:40 PM »
Got all the parts painted over the weekend.  I realized late last night that I've painted everything on this model with acrylic paint through my airbrush - no rattle cans and nothing brush painted.  Starting to detail a lot of parts, hit the rear wheels with a silver Sharpie and need to dull coat some parts.  Started assembling the Hemi tonight.
Hemi left side view by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Hemi right side view by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Ramchargers rear wheels by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Lefturns75

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2019, 11:52:59 PM »
I may have taken a bigger bite than I can chew but while some paint and glue was drying on the Green Hornet I got to fooling with the old AMT 25T.  Since the Hornet will be the only T-Bucket I have built, I started on this one.  I am no fan of Testors Custom Lacquer System but I had a rattle can that has to be 10 years old of Plum Crazy.  I shot the chassis and body and the stuff was dry in about 20 minutes but flat, no gloss.  I gave the parts a couple shots of TS-13 clear, the white is Krylon flat white.  This evening I was able to handle the parts and hammered out the chassis.  With a little luck and I don't break something I MIGHT get this gloo-bomb finished too.  Not sure how this kit will look, last time I built one was in the 60's.  It looks a little crude to me now but as a kid I thought it was pretty cool. 

Lefturns75

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2019, 01:37:53 AM »
I read a little about the 1:1 car, the Geraghty & Crawford Grasshopper, which the Green Hornet was sorta modeled after.  The 1:1 was  a handful and suffered traction problems due to the solid mounted rear end and tires of the day (1959).  I think it would want to go any direction but straight and I always thought it looked like a death trap.  I might move it around or motivate it in a parking lot but no way would I stomp the loud pedal and hold it.  I would think that big Olds would flex those frame rails like a rubber band. 

Michael F

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2019, 01:22:26 PM »
I ordered the Tiny Lund Mercury Cyclone at Mike´s speed shop and told them, it has to be finished next Sunday.
The guys told me "no problem". I was doubtful abot that answer. But look, i came by their shop sunday afternoon and the gate was open, so i took some sercret pics thru the windows.
They got the chassis done. These guys are really fast !!

And today this: they fabricated the body and even painted it !!

And a quick view thru the rooflight:

On my way out of the area, a UPS driver was carrying a bundle from a decalprinter into the shop.
Hurrah !! If possible and the gate is open again, i´ll take some more shots of the wip tomorrow.

Hmm, i´m wondering where the tools are they working with, oh well ... ??? ???

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 01:26:04 PM by Michael F »
Greetings from Germany!

Lefturns75

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2019, 02:08:32 PM »
That is some pretty good looking paint there Michael!  What did you use?    I'm gonna watch this since I have a couple of these kits I want to get to.  Did you do the body modification on the front to get the nose to curve down? 

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2019, 02:40:49 PM »
What David said!!!  The pit crew must be lightning fast as well!!!  Looks awesome!!!  I just got my 57 Chevy body polished and ready for chrome!  Update pictures later!

The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Michael F

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2019, 04:17:25 PM »
-Lefturns
I used Tamiya French Blue over Tamiya white primer spraycans.

Once i tried to bend the front of a Polar Lights Talladega, it was very tricky, i did it with boiling water method.
Dipped it into the hot water and waited till it was soft enough to move the nose down.
But suddenly, it was to soft, i barely could hold it in right shape. Thankfully i had the hood on hand to allign the bodyfront.
The result is not bad at all, but i´ll never try to do this.

From my point of view, the bigger problem of the wrong bodyshape is not the curve of the nose, but it is the wide wheelopening of the frontfender.
I used a trick to line this issue, i turn the frontwheels a little bit like i did on this Leeroy Yarbrough Mercury
and hope nobody will realize my fake ;D ;D

-David: sure there is a number, and very easy to keep in mind: 555 555 ;) ;)

-Greg: Thank you, i like your Chevy !!

Greetings from Germany!