Author Topic: OctoberFest 2019 Build Progress Photos  (Read 19410 times)

Lefturns75

Re: OctoberFest 2019 Build Progress Photos
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2019, 05:28:29 PM »
I have one more method for the Torino nose.  This is not my solution, I read it when the kit hit the shelves and I do not remember where or who did the original post.  I never did build the kit but I did do the mod.  I cut through the inner sheet metal in the hood area where it is marked in black.  With a small effort and very little heat I got it nose down.  The black area on the wheel well is where I will have to reshape the opening.  I guess there are a dozen ways builders do this so use what is most effective for you. 

David has the right idea, they should be molded right in the first place. 

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2019, 09:05:15 PM »
    Almost finished...at least I got a trackside/curbside build going on.....should be able to slap together the kit supplied big block by Saturday...hopefully.

I literally finished the decals moments before this picture was taken...there still some water that needs mopped up.....I am starting to not like decal applying  ...perhaps I'm not patient enough and get in a rush...who knows :-\   
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2019, 11:48:11 PM »
Lots of fitment issues getting the drive train aligned and keeping the chassis square.  Think I finally got it where it needs to be.
Ramchargers frame and drivetrain by Mark Shea, on Flickr
Ramchargers frame by Mark Shea, on Flickr

Lefturns75

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2019, 10:18:36 AM »
Dirt, your FE is looking nice.  Sorta makes me want to dig mine out and give it a go but I'll hold off on that, I've taken on enough right now. 

Here are a couple shots of the Hornet and roadster to this point.  I am going to work on finishing these up so I figure the next photos will be in the finished thread.  This has been fun and refreshing just to build out of the box and not worry about all that extra detail.  Some of you other guys that passed on this missed some fun.  It don't matter if it is a great build or a gloo-bomb, it's about having fun and enjoying what we like to do, no pressure, its not a contest.  It has been fun to be a kid again. 

dirtmodwrench

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2019, 12:11:53 PM »
Lefturns - I keep coming back to look at your Green Hornet build and have to say that I'm really digging it!!  Are the tires on your build the ones that come in the kit?

David - Have to agree with your thoughts on doing a little bit here and there.  I have enjoyed popping down to the basement to knock one or two items off the to-do list on this build when I can, verses trying to find a big block of time to finish an entire subassembly etc.  SO glad that I joined this build challenge and I'm surely having fun doing it!!

Lefturns75

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2019, 01:11:22 PM »
Dirt, those are the plastic two piece tires that come in the re-issue kit.  I thought I had the original rubber tires but could only find three so I used the kit items.  The Firestone is a decal from Indycals I had extra so I used them.  I thought they fit that type of tire from the era.  This pair is interesting as both kits hit the market about the same time.  It shows the different approach AMT and Monogram had in kit development in the very early days.  I have seen photos from back in the day of the car Monogram used to pattern the Hornet from but I would love to see the car AMT used for their T.  They both have inaccurate things about them but they do make good looking built subjects. 

I agree with you, I have enjoyed this Oktoberfest gig and hope we can do more things like this.  Maybe, just maybe it might spark enough interest in the other members to take something out of the box and build it.  This IS a model forum and we ARE modelers and we have 164 or so members.  Sometimes I wonder what the other 150 are doing? 

Marty W

« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »
Here is a photo of the Bug progress, just to show that I am actually building something. Got the body modified for off road, and painted. The engine is getting there, but it is the typical Revell fiddley parts.

Lefturns75

« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2019, 08:36:48 PM »
Putting the finishing touches on the Green Hornet and the Roadster.  When these guys are done, I will get some nice finished shots and post the builds up on the finished build thread.  I have another build started but I think I will take some time with this one so I guess these two are the final builds for this group build.  Hope we can all do something like this again soon, this has been a lot of fun. 

Michael F

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2019, 01:15:37 PM »
To David and Lefturns:

I really appreciate your ideas on bringing the Mercury nose into the right shape. I think a combination of your two ways will fix it.
I have two more Mercurys in my stash and i´ll try it on the next one, thanx a lot !!
The knowledge of you guys is priceless!

Hey Lefturns, your shop is a dream. The models as well !

The guys at Mike´s speedshop did some progress on the Merc.
Body decaled and wheels balanced:

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 01:17:16 PM by Michael F »
Greetings from Germany!

Lefturns75

« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2019, 02:56:49 PM »
Michael, those guys at Mike's Speed Shop are a well disciplined bunch, they keep the shop neat and clean.  I can't get the guys here in Podunkville to even sweep the floor.  I sure hope some of the other guys can get their stuff out of the box before this gig ends.  I'm ready to start another group build of some kind, you game?

Marty W

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2019, 06:41:49 PM »
I am chugging along with the Bug. I thought it would be a simple, straightforward build, but I am having several fit issues. Old Revell kits are sometimes like that. And lots of trimming of funky parts. And....I am painting the house and garage, and juggling other tasks at the same time. I might not have it completely finished by Sunday, but I am not giving up! I will finish it!!

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2019, 09:27:13 PM »
Looks like we’re gonna make it in good shape!!!  Only a couple of minor details and this car is finished!

[size=78%][/size]

The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

RandB11

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2019, 09:37:36 PM »
That 57 is gorgeous!!!  8)
Rick :)

Greg Birky

• My Fotki
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2019, 09:40:41 PM »
Thanks Rick!  Should be finished tomorrow! 
The “Ole Bench Racer” 

Greg Birky

Brian Conn

• Banned for the greater good
    • Alumilite Molding & Casting
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2019, 10:50:30 PM »
  Got the big block shoe horned in....

Art imitates life...the ill fitting kit headers put up a fight....pulled the engine back out and repositioned the front half of the right side header...fits better....not perfect,just better.
  The kit engine is rather unique....the block most closely resembles a Ford big block (429-460) but the kit has both the 351 Cleveland high port heads and valve covers and big block heads and valve covers..... I went with the big block heads,  duh ::) and valve covers.  I ditched the box looking intake manifold and went with a resin cast stock big block intake since the rules back then stipulated cast iron intakes.  Also ditched the cowl induction air cleaner and dug something out of the spare parts box.  Removed the alternator and bracket and added a belt section to the pulleys.  Scratch built two oil breathers for the Left side valve cover.
  All I have left is installing the radiator and hoses and the fan shroud and this build will be DONE.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 10:32:38 PM by Brian Conn »
The only heroes in Washington are buried just outside of it in Arlington