Construction Topics > Fab shop-under construction pics

'73 Ford Gran Torino Late Model

(1/11) > >>

Brian Conn:
  This ones been talking to me for a while.....no , I haven't lost my faculties ???

A little over 3 years ago I bought the Super Stocker kit minus the GTO body from Tom Birky.  Perfect for me since the chassis is a generic piece not meant to represent anything.  Way before that, I got the Torino body from Marty W.   not being a big fan of the '72's front grill/bumper fascia I figured I'd doing something with it some how.

What I'm going to try and accomplish here is to update the body to a '73 and shorten the area ahead of the front wheel well opening 6 scale inches like I did with the '73 Gran Torino from the 2019 Oktober fest C.B.P   
  I am going for a local dirt Late Model look from the mid 70's when there were still some 70 and 73 Chevelles, Plymouth Road Runners ,Dodge Chargers and the like competing in the Late Model class before the smaller bodied cars , like the Camaro, took over.  I figure that the Super Stocker chassis will fit the bill perfectly since its suppose to be of that era.       

Brian Conn:
The first issue has reared its ugly head.... >:(

The grill fascia is too wide.  The grill is a resin cast of the Revell Starsky & Hutch Gran Torino...the rest of the body is a Jo-Han piece.  The other '72 Torino's out there is the offerings from MPC and AMT/AMT/ERTL.  I've successfully grafted the Revell grill on the AMT/ERTL recent release of the '72 Torino stock car with out a whole lot of body work involved.  The original '72 Torino from Jo-Han is proportionally narrower than its '72 counterparts from MPC and AMT/AMT/ERTL

What I will do is cut the grill fascia into 3rds and piece it back together so as to be the same width as the fenders.   I will end up doing the same procedure with the front bumper to narrow it as well.  The gaps between the front of the hood and grill area will be filled in with Styrene strips.

TarheelRick:
Going to be another fun one to watch come together. Bring on the updates.

David Bogard:
The more I look at this, you might have to add some styrene (or putty) to widen the raised contour section of the center of the hood. It might just be the camera angle but it'll be interesting to see. . .

Brian Conn:

--- Quote from: David Bogard on July 03, 2021, 09:14:51 AM ---The more I look at this, you might have to add some styrene (or putty) to widen the raised contour section of the center of the hood. It might just be the camera angle but it'll be interesting to see. . .

--- End quote ---
  What your seeing is the same thing I am seeing....
  I had to re sculpt the hood w/styrene strips on the '73 Gran Torino I built a couple years ago for the Oktoberfest C.B.P   I still have to shorten the hood 6 scale inches to match up with what has already been done with the front fenders.  I was able to successfully narrow the grill and fill in the gaps between the hood and grill/cowl last night. I have a few other areas that need taken care of ....passenger side "A" pillar got broke off and re attached , need to fill the Left rear quarter panel fuel filler hole and remove all of the body side trim....kind of weird with a stock car side fuel fill hole(fuel neck is behind the license plate on the factory production version)  and factory stock lower body trim.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version