Construction Topics > Fab shop-under construction pics

John Beauchamp-Dale Swanson 60 Chevrolet Impala

(1/3) > >>

Maineboy:
In the works. Was going to wait til it was finished but not seeing new posts for several days thought I would post a few pics of the work in progress.

DSCF0003 (12) by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

DSCF0002 (9) by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

DSCF0005 (11) by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Not trying to be fancy, just building it as quickly as I can to be a good representative model of the real car. Only have one photo of this real car and it is B&W so some guessing takes place. This is the first model of a 60 Chevy that I have ever built.  Fun car but lots of chrome on the 1:1 car and the model too. Took all the chrome kit parts I was going to use and dumped then into a plastic container of "purple power" cleaner you can get at Family dollar.  Give it a week and all that aluminum plating is gone. Will not damage styrene. Painted it all with Rustoleum "Chrome" in a spray bomb.  Looks better to my old eyes.

MB

TarheelRick:
Real nice looking Chevy.  Which wheels and tires are you planning to use?

Maineboy:
THR,

Using NASCAR early 60's era from PPP and H&M wheels I got from Ron Coon. The wheels and tires do not fit well together and I did not find the correct tires on Ron's website. But I can make it work as you see in the pic.

DSCF0001 (12) by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

Hope I can cram them under the fenders. If not it will be back to square one again.

MB

Brian Conn:
  This build is looking fabulous..... I sincerely believe that it is plausible that this car raced here in Topeka at the fairgrounds and why not, he seemed to have that track figured out with his wins there in 1956.  I don't think that I have any pictures of the '60 racing here in Topeka but that does'nt mean that there is not one some where.

--- Quote from: Maineboy on April 22, 2022, 12:08:46 PM ---Hope I can cram them under the fenders. If not it will be back to square one again.

--- End quote ---

It's doable as far as moving the tires/wheels farther inboard to clear the fenders and 1/4 panels ....I can explain further if you want.   

Maineboy:
Brian, 

Thanks for the nice words and offer to help.  This is the only picture I have been able to find of the real car and it's black and white of course, something that does NOT help when trying to replicate a race car from the 1950's early 60's era. I have no idea what track that photo was taken at. Neither John nor Dale Swanson were NASCAR regulars. But he surely competed, and won a ton, on midwest tracks in this era. John was IMCA champion several times, a tremendous testimony to Swanson's skill as a builder and his skill has a driver.

60 chev30 by Nathan Pitts, on Flickr

The decal set I got does not match some of the smaller decals on the doors but in the real world those sponsors could change often. But I had hoped it would be a good representative take on the real car. I bought this kit, and a kit to build John's 61 Impala, the car he nearly was killed in at Daytona, and one or 2 more from Fred. I found that buying 3 or 4 at a time gets a whole lot better deal on the shipping. Also got a 62 Pontiac that I am searching for the David Pearson decal set for that car. Got a pic of the real car, in color, but have not found that decal set yet. It is probably not too obvious yet but I like building some of the more obscure race cars. You can find Junior Johnson decal sets for about every type of car ever raced in NASCAR because Junior drove anything anyone would let him drive for a very long time. But I like going off the beaten path whenever I can.

I am using the wheelbacks that came with the 60 kit, with the Ron Coon Wheels. Not a perfect fit but will work. I am thinking that I will need to cut some of the axle mounting on the wheelbacks off until they fit. I think I recall someone else talking about that on here a while ago. Got to wait til I can set the body on the chassis to see how much. I will keep your generous offer in mind. Thanks

MB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version