Tommy Maier Ed Howe Going Camaro 1973

Started by ARCA Guy, October 15, 2018, 09:56:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARCA Guy

Many racing fans in the Midwest and Canada know of this car which teamed with legendary racer and car builder Ed Howe to form a potent 1 - 2 team cars for the 1973 season. I have built the Howe Gone car and added this one to complete the pair. Usual stuff on it, Super Stocker chassis, 70 Camaro body with a bunch of modifications, Big Donkey tires, one of my last sets of Fred's wheels, sadness, and Rod (Statsman) did the fine set of decals, the pinstriping was a bitch, oh well its done!  Thanks for looking!

Lefturns75

Nice representation there ARCAdude.  Yes, I did watch this car at I-70 in 73 and to be honest, when I saw 432 Ci on the hood I kinda chuckled.  The rule at the time of that race was 8 pounds per cubic inch so this thing had to weigh about 3500#!  Everyone else was in the 2800-2900 pound range but Tommy won it going away.  I never thought he could keep the tires under it for 200 laps but boy was I wrong.  He was not only fast, the car was quiet.  The 180 exhaust dumps were fitted with mufflers and the car would just kinda whoosh when it went by.  Tommy was un-real that day. 

Can you give us some info on the paint?  I am sure a few of us would like to do one of the HRE cars but I have never been happy with my paint mix.  What is it?   By the way, good job on getting the four bolt door attachment plates added!  Good eye.  I dont think I ever saw that on anything but Ed's stuff but I can see where it would make body repair much easier.  Those boys did beat em up a little as you can see in the photo below. 

Bob P.

Another beautiful replica build ARCA Guy. Excellent work, it looks dead on to me.

Bob

sentsat71

Ed K.

James2

"Days are neither good nor bad, they are what you make of them."

Michael F

Greetings from Germany!

ARCA Guy

Quote from: David Bogard on October 20, 2018, 10:06:08 PM
Are those PT-8's from Larry? Thanks!

Yes, I use those PT-8's which Larry started making for me awhile ago, I got sick of sanding the super stocker tires, so he made these up for them, great tires! Also his PT-7 are good as well for these cars along with old Chevelles.

MarkJ

David Bogard

I'll have to get a set of those and the PT-7's. I am working on one right now that probably could use the PT-8's as they look to be a little taller than the PPP tires.
I appreciate people that actually build and post models.
https://public.fotki.com/DKBogard/